When planning a trip abroad either for business or a holiday travel insurance cannot be neglected. And the process is simplified and rendered hassle-free through the online route that is now available for purchasing travel insurance.
However, factors to be taken account while purchasing travel insurance online are no different from physical purchase at the insurer's office.
Some such integral and indispensable parameters to be factored-in while purchasing travel insurance are as follows:
- Plan type and coverage type
- Features vs cost
- Travel vs health related coverage
How to proceed for making online purchase of travel insurance?
1. Online travel insurance purchase should be made at least a week before the departure date: Some of the insurers verify and finalize the coverage amount soon after the payment. However, certain others do take a week's time so ensure that you apply for the travel insurance beforehand and have in hand all the necessary travel insurance policy documents with you at the time of travelling.
2. Visit the site of the insurer of whom you are already the customer to purchase travel insurance: In case a proper travel insurance plan as per your need is available with your current insurance provider, you can purchase it from them as there is a probability that your current insurer could provide you the policy at discounted rates for your brand loyalty.
3. List travellers and your coverage needs: Number of travellers as well as your specific coverage needs would form the basis for the selection of the suitable plan. Further, on its basis the premium amount that you would need to pay out would be decided. Also, the specification of any prevailing health ailment would be factored in by the company while deciding the premium amount.
In case if you are a frequent flyer, you as an insured person would be better-off by opting a multi-trip plan instead of a single or round trip insurance plan.
4. Ensure adequate coverage for specified incidents is available : Before finalizing the policy and making the premium payment ensure that adequate coverage is available against all of the incidents specified by you. Coverage against any medical contingency or emergency, luggage, missed flight, car accidents and natural accidents could be sought for. You can also seek a cover for your home. However, taking the insurance cover as per the need would save the customer of any extra payment as premium.
5. Complete documentation process: The prevalence of any health ailment is factored in by the insurance company and it is likely that the customer is not provided with certain cover on account of it. Also, as insurers need proof of your current health condition it is your duty to furnish it in order to complete the application process.
6. Complete the application process after accounting important parameters through a secure and safe server : Once satisfied with the insurance plan with regard to coverage, premium
amount and benefits, ensure that the insurer makes use of a safe and secure server before furnishing any personal and financial information.
7. Ensure receipt of confirmation mail from the insurer: After paying the premium amount, ensure that you receive a mail confirming completion of the application process and payment. The insured person needs to keep a copy of the confirmation mail along with any other documents specifying policy details.