The services of luxury cars facilities which were only open to railway officials can now be availed by the common public and details are available on the IRCTC website.
On Friday, India's first privately-occupied saloon coach, complete with air-conditioned rooms, valet service and attached bathroom started its journey with six customers of a private tour operating company as the Jammu Mail pulled out of the Old Delhi Railway Station.
Details of the luxury saloon
- The first charter service was booked for six VIP customers by M/s Royal India Train Journeys for their travel from Delhi to Jammu.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) told PTI, "This will be an all-inclusive tour where the guests will be offered all the comfort of a hotel. Exclusive staff will be available for services on board. Railway also provides one AC attendant and one saloon attendant for ensuring hassle-free travel."
- It further said that the cost of chartering this saloon coach is around Rs 2 lakhs.
- The saloon has a living room, two air-conditioned bedrooms - one twin bedroom and the other similar to a AC First Class coupe with attached baths, dining area and a well-equipped kitchen.
- It will also have a valet service, which will be chargeable in the future.
- The journey started yesterday is a four-day package and the saloon will be back on April 2.
- It is attached to Jammu Mail at the Old Delhi station. The Jammu Mail is bound for its destination to Katra.
- The Railways has a total of 336 saloon cars across railway zones, among them 62 are air-conditioned.