The Reserve Bank of India has released the first look and salient features of the Rs 100 denomination banknote in a statement released on Thursday. The new note will be in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing the signature of the present RBI governor, Dr. Urjit R. Patel.
The new note will be lavender in colour, with a Motif of "RANI KI VAV" on the reverse, depicting the country's cultural heritage. The note has geometric patterns and designs to align with the overall colour scheme on both the sides. The dimension of the banknote will be 66 mm × 142 mm, which is slightly bigger than the Rs 10 note.
The new note will be launched soon to join the new designs of Rs 2,000, Rs 500, Rs 200 and Rs 10 that are already in circulation. Rs 100 bank notes issued in the earlier series will continue to be legal tender as per the statement. The supply of the new notes will gradually increased in the days ahead.
As per the RBI statement, following are the salient features of the new Rs 100 note:
1. See-through register with denominational numeral 100
2. Latent image with denominational numeral 100
3. Denominational numeral १०० in Devanagari
4. Portrait of Mahatma Gandhi at the centre
5. Micro letters 'RBI', 'Bharat (in Devnagiri)', 'India' and '100'
6. Windowed security thread with inscriptions 'Bharat (in Devnagiri)' and RBI with colour shift; Colour of the thread changes from green to blue when the note is tilted
7. Guarantee Clause, Governor's signature with Promise Clause and RBI emblem towards the right of Mahatma Gandhi portrait
8. Ashoka Pillar emblem on the right
9. Mahatma Gandhi portrait and electrotype (100) watermarks
10. Number panel with numerals in ascending font on the top left side and bottom right side
11. For visually impaired intaglio or raised printing of Mahatma Gandhi portrait, Ashoka Pillar emblem raised triangular identification mark with micro-text 100, four angular bleed lines both on the right and left sides
12. Year of printing of the note on the left
13. Swachh Bharat logo with the slogan
14. Language panel
15. A motif of RANI KI VAV
16. Denominational numeral १०० in Devanagari