For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

Japan's Orix Is Looking To Buy Out IL&FS Wind Energy


In a statement on Sunday, debt-ridden IL&FS said, Japan-based Orix Corporation has expressed interest in buying out IL&FS Wind Energy. Orix already owns 49 percent stake in each of its seven operating wind power plants. It is now exercising its rights under its existing MoU (memorandum of understanding) with IL&FS group to buy remaining 51 percent.

Japan's Orix Is Looking To Buy Out IL&FS Wind Energy

The seven wind power plants, in the form of special purpose vehicles (SPVs) are spread across 12 states with a total generation capacity of 874 MW.

In November 2018, the group had initiated the process of the sale of controlling stake in the wind power plants as part of a sale of a number of assets held by it to reduce the significant amount of debt mounted. Expressions of interest were invited.

In April, government-owned GAIL (India) offered Rs 4,800 crore, emerging as the highest bidder to acquire 100 percent stake in IL&FS Wind Energy Limited, subject to consent from Orix. The offer was made with no hair cut to the debt of the SPVs, which is close to Rs 3,700 crore. Orix now matches the offer.

"The intent to buy 51 per cent stake is in exercise of Orix's right under the terms of an existing MoU wherein Orix can match the price offered by the highest bidder for purchasing IWEL's stake in the wind SPVs," IL&FS said in a statement.

The deal is expected to be closed by the end of June 2019. The sale completion is subject to meeting all compliances and approvals, including approval of the NCLT for the proposed resolution framework, it said.

Read more about: il ampfs
Company Search
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Goodreturns sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Goodreturns website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more