Your ATM card can get blocked on its own or you might have placed the request for blocking it with your bank's customer care due to some suspicious call or SMS. Nonetheless, there are always ways to unlock or unblock the card to restore its regular use.
Here are listed ways you can take on to, to restore the normal functioning of the card i.e. for both carrying out merchant payments or cash withdrawals at ATM kiosks.
EMV based debit and credit cards:
EMV(Europay, MasterCard and Visa) cards are smart payment cards. Also, called smart cards or IC cards that store data on integrated circuits rather than magnetic tapes. This creates dynamic data every time you make a transaction, making it almost impossible for fraudsters to duplicate or clone your card. EMV cards can also store information about the loyalty program, which allows you to earn or redeem loyalty points at participating merchants. This feature gives you security protection on your daily purchases. Learn more about consumer safety and security.
Security tips to protect your card:
- Your card's EMV chip adds an extra layer of security to every payment you make. But there are also some important steps you can take to secure your card.
- Sign your new cards upon receipt.
- Avoid sharing confidential information such as account information and PIN.
- From time to time, make sure that none of your cards are missing.
- Check your bank and card statements when you receive them. Find the transactions you don't know.
- If you think there has been suspicious activity in your account, notify your bank immediately.
1. Automatic unblock: To prevent misuse, in cases where ATM PIN has been entered wrongly in three continuous attempts, ATM gets blocked. But such an ATM card is automatically unblocked after 24hours and then you can use it in a regular way.
2. Place an application with the bank for unblocking your card: When the card is blocked for security reasons or due to your negligence, you can get the same unblocked by writing an application for the same to your nearest bank branch. On visiting the bank for the purpose, you also need to produce your valid ID proof for verification. The bank then processes your request in 48 hrs to maximum 5 working days.
3. When the card is blocked due to card expiry: In a case when the ATM card gets blocked due to expiry as each ATM card comes with a validity of some 3-5 years, you need to visit your bank branch and place the request for a new card. The bank then sends over the new card in a matter of 5-7 working days after receiving the application.
4. Case where the card is blocked permanently: There can also be a case where you fearing fraudulent transaction on your card get your card blocked permanently and in such a situation you have no option other than getting a new ATM card. And the bank will deliver the card in 5-7 working days.