Narendra Modi led cabinet recently gave an approval to replace the existing Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 2019 with "Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019". The bill will be put forth in the upcoming budget session that begins on June 17. And after the bill is passed, users or holders of aadhaar can use the ID as per their discretion. This clearly implies that in effect no individual can be compelled to produce a proof of holding an aadhaar card or using the same for establishing one's identity, unless the law specifies it.
Here are listed the benefits aadhaar card holders will be able to get after the bill is passed:
1. The proposal allows holders of aadhaar to voluntarily use the unique 12-digit UIDAI issued aadhaar number for opening bank account or getting a new telecom connection.
2. Also, aadhaar users will have the privilege to hide their actual aadhaar number and instead furnish the VID or Virtual Identity provided by the UIDAI.
3. The bill also allows using the aadhaar card on a voluntary basis for the purpose of authentication which qualifies as the KYC document under the Prevention of Money-laundering Act and the Telegraph Act, 1885.
4. Also, a child after attaining the age of 18 years will have an option to get his or her aadhaar number cancelled.
5. The bill proposed will enable provide security to aadhaar card holders and prevent its misuse. The Central government in a statement said through the proposed bill, UIDAI will be provided with a stronger overall framework to work in the larger public interest.