To guarantee seats in unreserved coaches, Piyush Goyal in a passenger friendly move has introduced the biometric system. On a pilot basis, the project has been launched at Mumbai Central railway station and Bandra Terminus. Those who purchase tickets for the general class will need to get their fingerprints scanned at the biometric machine.
The move is aimed at avoiding stampede like situation at the railway station during boarding of the unreserved coaches. This is also at a time, when the department has been receiving an array of complaint concerning cornering of seats by antisocial elements.
And on showing one's fingerprint, a passenger of the unreserved or general coach is provided a token and such passengers then need to gather in a queue as per the serial number on their token few minutes before the rake is finally positioned on the platform. The RTF personnel will look on the verification of passengers boarding the coach as per their allotted token.
The biometric machine is being used for the general class coaches of the following trains:
• Amravati Express (Mumbai Central station)
• Jaipur Superfast Express (Mumbai Central station)
• Karnavati Express (Mumbai Central station)
• Gujarat Mail (Mumbai Central station)
• Golden Temple Mail (Mumbai Central station)
• Paschim Express (Bandra Terminus)
• Amaravati Express (Bandra Terminus)
• Avadh Express (Bandra Terminus)
• Maharashtra Sampark Kranti Express (Bandra Terminus)