Your task of filing ITR does not ends just after you submit your return with the income tax department, the process is not deemed complete, until you also accomplish the following mentioned steps:
1. You need to verify or e-verify the return: It is the most crucial step to completing the process of ITR filing with the department and it is only on completing this step that the taxmann goes on to processing your return at their end.
2. Track the status of your return: After the IT department verifies your return on successful filing of return, the ITR status is changed to ITR processed. In case of successful step, the IT department also notifies the taxpayer in case there is some discrepancy or even if there is no saying that the IT department has accepted the ITR filed by the taxpayer.
3. If need be file revised return before the end of related assessment year: If you have erred on any of the points, make sure to rectify the ITR by filing a revised return well within the allowed time i.e. before the end of the concerned assessment year.
4. To respond swiftly to any of the tax notices if the case may be keep all the proofs handy: Even if you expect that your ITR process was all cautious, you can because of your lack of knowledge may be in receipt of some tax notice and then you need to act on it. For it if you have all the concerned proofs such as bills, investment receipts etc. that will come in handy. It is recommended to keep the record for a period beyond 7 years.
5. Plan of your refund income judiciously: As this is also your hard earned money, keep a track of it and do not just splurge your this refund income.