To incorporate social distancing and health safety measures amid the coronavirus pandemic, Bharat Petroleum (BP) launched a new self-service system in a petrol pump in Pune under the 'Atmanirbhar' campaign.
The BP fuel filling station located near the Regional Transport Office in Pune is the first and the only one to adopt this system. The self-service system has been prevalent in advanced countries for many years now.
How the 'Atmanirbhar' fuel station works:
- A customer has 3 options: 1) fill by quantity 2) fill by cost 3) fill till the full tank
- Customers will have to sanitise their hands and choose one of the 3 options on the fuel dispensing machine. Staff at the fuel station will stand at a distance to guide customers, if needed.
- Check if the meter is on zero reading first, enter the amount/quantity to be filled.
- Lift level on the nozzle, press the lock under the lever which allows the fuel to flow.
- The fuel flow will stop automatically when the amount/quantity limit is reached.
- Take out a nozzle, place it back on machine and press button marked 'volume.'
- Cash, card or app payments are accepted.