On Thursday, providing its daily report on coronavirus cases, China's National Health Commission (NHC) said that the country's mainland had no new domestic cases of the COVID-19 confirmed on the previous day. This is the first time since the deadly virus broke out that no new infections were reported in mainland China, including in the epicentre - Wuhan.
However, the health authority said that 8 more fatalities have been reported, taking the death toll in the mainland to 3,245 and 34 new cases of infections confirmed on Wednesday were all from those arriving from abroad, marking a sharp increase, it said.
Of the 34 newly imported cases, 21 were reported in Beijing, nine in Guangdong Province, two in Shanghai, one in Heilongjiang Province and one in Zhejiang Province, the NHC said.
There were no new cases reported in Wuhan, the capital of the central Hubei Province, where the novel disease originated in December, marking a notable first in the city's months-long battle with the deadly virus.
The Health Commission of Hubei Province said the total confirmed cases of the coronavirus disease in Wuhan and Hubei remained at 50,005 and 67,800 respectively on Wednesday with no new confirmed cases.
China has reported a total of 80,928 confirmed cases of the COVID-19, of which 3,245 have died and 70,420 patients were discharged after treatment.
By the end of Wednesday, 192 confirmed cases including four deaths had been reported in Hong Kong, 15 confirmed cases in the Macao and 100 in Taiwan including one death, the NHC said.
The coronavirus outbreak has killed 8,809 people and infected 2,18,631 across 157 countries and territories, according to a tracker maintained by Johns Hopkins University.
With inputs from PTI