ICICI Bank officially revealed the debut of a one-of-a-kind feature that allows users to link their UPI (Unified Payments Interface) IDs to their digital wallet 'Pockets,'. New users, even non-ICICI Bank customers, can now have a UPI ID that is automatically linked to their 'Pockets' account. Customers who already have a UPI ID will receive a new one when they use the 'Pockets' app. This feature enables customers to conduct small-value transactions using UPI directly from their 'Pockets' wallet reliably and confidentially. It will assist customers in streamlining the transactions made regularly from their savings account, hence reducing the number of listings on their savings account statement.
It will also make UPI more accessible to young folks, such as students, who may not have access to a savings account. Customers can now make UPI transactions using their wallet balance rather than their savings account, according to ICICI Bank. ICICI Bank has partnered with NPCI to link its 'Pockets' digital wallet to the UPI platform, opening the door for this unique innovation of linking a customer's UPI ID to his or her digital wallet. Customers who use 'Pockets' can now send and receive money straight from and to their 'Pockets' wallet balance without having to use their savings bank account. The UPI ID can be used by users of the 'Pockets' digital wallet to perform person-to-person (P2P) payments and person-to-merchant (P2M) payments.
Users can also receive attractive rewards for every transaction they make with the wallet. Bijith Bhaskar, Head-Digital Channels & Partnership, ICICI Bank, commented on the new facility that "We, at ICICI Bank, focus on technological innovations to offer unique propositions that are simple, fast and convenient. Five years ago, we launched 'Pockets', enabling users to open a digital wallet instantly on their mobile phone and start transacting immediately. Our research suggests that users are keen to link their UPI ID with their digital wallet so that they can directly use the balance in the wallet for smaller transactions while using their savings account only for the larger ones. Armed with this insight, we are delighted to have worked closely with NPCI to introduce this unique innovative solution in digital banking. We believe the facility will provide immense convenience and the advantage of secured UPI payments to customers using 'Pockets' wallet."
NPCI's COO, Praveena Rai also stated that "We are delighted to collaborate with ICICI Bank to launch the solution of creating and linking a UPI ID to a digital wallet. This initiative will further democratize access to UPI and make it ubiquitous with digital payments by allowing consumers to directly pay through their digital wallets, in addition to the facility of paying from their bank accounts. UPI is a one-stop solution to payments of all kinds, both P2M and P2P, and this facility will provide an impetus to the burgeoning digital ecosystem in India."
Steps to use UPI facility on 'Pockets' app
- A new user must first download and log in to 'Pockets' before utilising the service.
- After a successful login, a 'Pockets' VPA will be generated based on the user's registered mobile number. 9000xxxxxx@pockets, for example, where '9000xxxxxx' is the registered mobile number of the user.
- For the setup of the UPI ID, no bank account details are necessary. A user can also change the auto-generated UPI ID to a new ID by selecting the 'modify' option under 'BHIM UPI' within the app.
- A current user can get started by updating their 'Pockets' app to the newest version.
A UPI ID, once linked to a UPI-enabled bank, allows a user to receive money in his or her bank account without having to share his or her account number or other confidential info. The user just needs to provide his or her UPI ID with the payer in order to accept payment into his or her bank account. On its official website, ICICI Bank has also detailed the process for creating a UPI ID using iMobile and PayLater which are as follows:
Steps to generate UPI ID using iMobile app
- Sign in to the iMobile app and tap on 'UPI'
- Now tap on 'Manage' and then tap on 'My Profile' from the drop-down list.
- Now enter a UPI ID or select from the suggested ones and click on 'Proceed'
- Now select your bank account with which you want to link your UPI ID and click on 'Submit'
- Once done your UPI ID will be successfully created.
Steps to create PayLater UPI ID
- Sign in to the iMobile app and tap on 'PayLater' under the 'Transact' section.
- Now head to the 'More Options' on the PayLater screen and tap on 'Create UPI ID'
- Now enter your UPI ID and click on 'Submit'
- Once done your PayLater UPI ID will be successfully created.