US Iran memorandum of understanding talks advance, with Pakistan and Qatar mediation role
The United States and Iran are reported to be close to a memorandum of understanding aimed at ending the war, as both sides review a Pakistan-prepared draft. Regional officials cite progress after talks in Tehran, with Qatar supporting mediation. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio noted movement, while both parties reiterated core positions and warned of renewed attacks.
The United States and Iran were close to accepting a Pakistan-drafted memorandum of understanding to end the war. Two regional officials and a diplomat said the text was under review on Saturday. The United States also weighed another round of attacks on Iran. Officials expected a decision on the draft within 48 hours.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking in New Delhi, said talks had moved forward. Rubio told journalists there had been progress in recent discussions. Rubio said: "even as I speak to you now, there is some work being done. There is a chance that, whether its later today, tomorrow, or in a couple of days, we may have something to say.\"
United States Iran talks and Pakistan draft
The officials said Vice President JD Vance and envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner helped reduce remaining gaps. Qatar also supported the process, officials said. A senior Qatari official travelled to Tehran to back Pakistan’s mediation. The sources spoke anonymously because they were not authorised to brief media.
Iran state TV quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei calling the text a framework for further talks. Baghaei said: \"We want this to include the main issues required for ending the imposed war and other issues of essential importance to us. Then, over a reasonable time span, between 30 and 60 days, details are discussed, and ultimately a final agreement is reached.\"
United States Iran talks and key issues
Baghaei said negotiations covered the Strait of Hormuz, but not nuclear matters at this stage. Tehran wanted to end the war first, before any nuclear discussions. Baghaei said: \"Our focus at this stage is on ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon,\" and said lifting sanctions was in the text and stayed Iran’s fixed position.
Iran’s official IRNA news agency quoted Baghaei saying positions had drawn closer in recent days. Baghaei said: \"Over the past week, the trend has been toward narrowing differences,\" and added: \"We will have to wait and see what happens over the next three or four days.\" Iran and the United States still stressed core demands and warned of attack risks.
United States Iran war and military warnings
Iran’s parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said Iran had rebuilt military assets after weeks of war. State TV reported Ghalibaf spoke after meeting Pakistan’s Field Marshal Asim Munir. Ghalibaf also warned the outcome would be \"more crushing and more bitter\" than at the war’s start if US President Donald Trump resumed attacks.
Trump earlier said a strike was on hold because serious negotiations were underway. Trump also cited requests from Middle East allies. Trump has often set deadlines for Tehran, then stepped back. Rubio repeated the US position that Iran must never get a nuclear weapon, must hand over highly enriched uranium, and must keep Hormuz open.
United States Iran war and Strait of Hormuz blockade
The US and Israel began the war with attacks on Feb. 28, ending earlier talks with Iran. Iran responded by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz. The route is vital for oil, natural gas, and fertiliser exports. The move added to global economic stress during the fighting and a later fragile ceasefire.
The United States then blockaded Iranian ports. US Central Command said on Saturday that forces had turned away more than 100 commercial vessels. It also said four vessels were disabled since the blockade began on April 13. The developments came as Washington reviewed options, including possible renewed strikes on Iran.
United States Iran talks and Pakistan mediation in Tehran
During the Tehran visit, Munir met Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and President Masoud Pezeshkian, officials said. Munir also met other senior officials, according to the two regional sources. They said Islamabad kept working to arrange a second round of direct negotiations between the United States and Iran.
It remained unclear if Munir met Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, who leads Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard. Vahidi has become a key figure shaping Iran’s tougher line in talks. For now, officials said both sides kept reviewing Pakistan’s draft. A decision was expected soon, while warning language stayed in place.
With inputs from PTI


Click it and Unblock the Notifications