US-Iran deal talks focus on reopening Strait of Hormuz and Iran uranium stockpile

Regional officials say the United States and Iran are close to a deal aimed at ending the conflict, reopening the Strait of Hormuz, and addressing Iran’s highly enriched uranium stockpile. US President Donald Trump said negotiations are orderly and should not be rushed. Reopening the route could ease the global energy crisis and price spikes.

Regional officials said the United States was nearing an agreement with Iran. The draft would end the war and reopen the Strait of Hormuz. The same officials told The Associated Press on Sunday that Iran would also give up highly enriched uranium. Timelines and technical steps were still pending, and were expected to be set later.

US-Iran talks on Hormuz reopening

US President Donald Trump indicated the talks were close to completion after calls. Trump spoke with Israel and other regional partners on Saturday. Trump also said a deal had been largely negotiated in recent weeks. Iran has not publicly accepted giving up uranium, which is a central Trump demand.

Strait of Hormuz deal and energy crisis

The straits reopening would ease an energy shock that followed the Feb. 28 strikes. The surprise US and Israeli bombardment of Iran led Tehran to effectively close the route. Oil and gas prices then jumped, hitting the wider economy. Experts said shipping and prices may need weeks, or months, to stabilise.

The US has blockaded Iranian ports for more than a month. Trump said on Sunday that the blockade will stay until a deal is complete. "The negotiations are proceeding in an orderly and constructive manner, and I have informed my representatives not to rush into a deal in that time is on our side,\" Trump said. Trump added that the relationship was becoming more professional and productive.

Iran highly enriched uranium and IAEA figures

Two regional officials said Tehran would surrender its stockpile of highly enriched uranium. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity due to the talks’ sensitivity. One official said the method would be settled during a 60-day period. Some material may be diluted, and the rest sent abroad, including to Russia.

Iran holds 440.9 kilograms 972 pounds of uranium enriched up to 60 per cent purity. The International Atomic Energy Agency has reported those figures. That level is a short step from 90 per cent weapons-grade material. Iran has long said its nuclear work is peaceful, despite the enrichment levels.

Marco Rubio in India on Iran negotiations

Secretary of State Marco Rubio, visiting India, said the talks had moved forward. Rubio said \"significant progress, although not final progress,\" had been made. Rubio added that the world would not need to fear Iran getting a nuclear weapon. Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian told state TV they were ready to assure the world that we are not after a nuclear weapon.

Iran’s embassy in India responded to Rubio on social media. The embassy said Tehran has an inalienable right to nuclear technology. Trump has sought tougher terms than the 2015 Obama-era agreement. The United States later left that deal during Trump’s earlier term.

Strait of Hormuz and sanctions waivers for Iran oil

Under the emerging agreement, the Strait of Hormuz would reopen in stages. Officials said this would happen alongside a gradual end to the US blockade. The second official said the US would permit Iran to sell oil using sanctions waivers. Sanctions relief and the release of Iran’s frozen funds would be negotiated during the 60-day window.

Both officials said the draft includes an end to the Israel-Hezbollah war in Lebanon. Twelve weeks have passed since the US and Israel attacked Iran. The strike killed its supreme leader and other top officials. A ceasefire with Iran has held since April 7, though both sides have exchanged fire at times.

Benjamin Netanyahu on Iran deal and Hezbollah threat

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wrote on Sunday about the talks’ conditions. \"President Trump and I agreed that any final agreement with Iran must eliminate the nuclear danger, and that Trump had reaffirmed Israels right to defend itself on every front, including Lebanon.\" Science Minister Gila Gamliel told Israel’s Army Radio that Israel was taking a wait-and-see approach.

Israeli officials said Hezbollah still posed a major threat and disarmament was difficult. A US-brokered ceasefire began in Lebanon on April 17, but clashes continued. Hezbollah has launched daily drones and rockets, and Israel has struck targets across Lebanon. Lebanese officials reported more than 3,000 deaths, while Israel reported 22 soldiers, a contractor, and two civilians killed.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said on Saturday that differences were narrowing. Baghaei added that Iran remained cautious after two attacks during talks. Pakistani army chief Asim Munir, described as a key mediator, left Tehran late Saturday after further discussions. Several governments, including the European Union and the United Kingdom, welcomed signs of progress.

With inputs from PTI

Notifications
Settings
Clear Notifications
Notifications
Use the toggle to switch on notifications
  • Block for 8 hours
  • Block for 12 hours
  • Block for 24 hours
  • Don't block
Gender
Select your Gender
  • Male
  • Female
  • Others
Age
Select your Age Range
  • Under 18
  • 18 to 25
  • 26 to 35
  • 36 to 45
  • 45 to 55
  • 55+