US White House Shooting: Two People Shot During Encounter With US Secret Service; Suspect Nasire Best Killed

A gunman who allegedly believed he was a divine figure was shot dead by US Secret Service personnel after opening fire near a White House security post on Saturday evening, prompting a brief lockdown of the presidential complex and leaving at least one bystander seriously injured, according to multiple US media reports.

The suspect, identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, allegedly drew a revolver and fired several rounds at officers near a checkpoint close to 17th Street Northwest, which triggered a rapid armed response, loud bursts of gunfire heard across the area, and urgent safety orders for people inside and around the White House grounds.

s

White House shooting: lockdown, panic and response

Journalists stationed on the White House North Lawn said the sudden volley of shots caused immediate panic, with Secret Service agents reportedly shouting "get down" and "shots fired" as members of the press corps, including reporters, photographers and producers, were rushed into the briefing room and told to shelter in place while armed officers secured nearby lawns and access points.

ABC News correspondent Selina Wang described the scene as frightening for media on site, writing on X that "I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now," capturing the confusion among those present.

White House shooting: Trump's whereabouts and ongoing talks

The shooting happened while US President Donald Trump was inside the White House, where Trump had stayed in Washington instead of travelling to a New Jersey golf club, as Trump had been involved in diplomatic discussions about Iran and a proposed peace framework that Trump said involved multiple Middle Eastern countries and a potential "Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE".

The incident occurred less than two hours after Trump posted on Truth Social that Trump was working from the Oval Office on the possible peace agreement, mentioning talks with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Türkiye, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain; officials later said no Secret Service personnel were hurt during the exchange of fire outside.

White House shooting: suspect's background and earlier encounters

According to preliminary findings cited by US outlets, investigators believed Best had a history of mental health difficulties and earlier contact with law enforcement, and that Secret Service records already linked Best to repeated loitering near restricted White House entry locations in defiance of a judge's previous order directing Best to stay away from the compound's controlled access areas.

Court documents from a prior case, reported by US media, recorded that "[Best] claimed he was Jesus Christ and that he wanted to get arrested," while officials also said Best had once been involuntarily committed in June 2025 after blocking traffic near 15th Street and E Street Northwest, claiming to be "God" before being taken by Secret Service agents to the Psychiatric Institute of Washington for evaluation.

In July 2025, Best was again arrested after allegedly trying to enter a White House complex driveway by going through an exit-only turnstile and bypassing a pedestrian checkpoint; a judge then ordered Best to avoid White House grounds, and investigators later reviewing Best's social media activity reportedly found disturbing posts in which Best claimed online to be "the real" Osama bin Laden, though sources said Best had not previously been seen armed or acting violently.

The latest White House shooting added to a series of recent security scares involving Trump and locations linked to the presidency, coming less than a month after another armed suspect allegedly fired shots near the venue of the White House Correspondents' Dinner while Trump was attending, a pattern that has drawn renewed attention to protective measures and the challenges of dealing with individuals who may have unstable behaviour near high-security sites.

Notifications
Settings
Clear Notifications
Notifications
Use the toggle to switch on notifications
  • Block for 8 hours
  • Block for 12 hours
  • Block for 24 hours
  • Don't block
Gender
Select your Gender
  • Male
  • Female
  • Others
Age
Select your Age Range
  • Under 18
  • 18 to 25
  • 26 to 35
  • 36 to 45
  • 45 to 55
  • 55+