For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

Insurance policy complaints: where to file them?

Insurance policy complaints: where to file them?
Have a complaint regarding your life insurance or non-life insurance policy, whether motor insurance, home insurance etc., now you can file a complaint with the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA).

The IRDA has a grievance redressal cell which looks into complaints from policyholders. Complaints against Life and Non-life insurers are handled separately. This Cell plays a facilitative role by taking up complaints with the respective insurers.

Also read: a look at the cheapest health insurance plans in India?

Policyholders have to first address their complaints to their respective insurer companies. If they do not receive a response from insurer(s) within a reasonable period of time or are not satisfied with the response of the company, they may approach the Grievance Cell of the IRDA. The complaints need to be addressed to the Non-life insurance Grievance Cell of the IRDA and forwarded to the address given below.

Only cases of delay/non-response regarding matters relating to policies and claims are taken up by the Cell with the insurers for speedy disposal.

As claims/policy contracts in dispute require adjudication and the IRDA does not carry out any adjudication, insureds are advised to approach the available quasi-judicial or judicial channels, i.e., the Insurance Ombudsmen, Consumer fora or the Civil courts for such complaints. The list of Insurance Ombudsmen along with their contact details are available on this website under the heading ‘Ombudsmen' at the IRDA website.

Only complaints from the insureds themselves or the claimants will be entertained by the IRDA. The Cell does not entertain complaints written on behalf of policyholders by advocates or agents or third parties.

Where complaints are being sent through e-mail, complainants are requested to submit complete details of the complaint as required in the complaints registration form. Without this the IRDA Cell will not be in a position to register the complaint.

Read more about: insurance
Company Search
Enter the first few characters of the company's name or the NSE symbol or BSE code and click 'Go'


We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Goodreturns sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Goodreturns website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more