The threat to life from flying has increased more than ever making life insurance and travel insurance paramount.
While we have covered the former in detail, travellers going abroad need to focus on travel insurance, which covers almost every possible risk. The cover offered by insurance companies in India is comprehensive and do include the following. The list of coverage is more exhaustive than what we have mentioned below.
1) Medical cover in case of emergencies
2) Repatriation of remains in case death occurs during the travel period.
3) In case one is hospitalised due to an illness there would be a daily cover.
4) Interestingly, dental care which is rarely covered under health insurance is also covered.
5) Loss of baggage, loss of passport, missed flight connection - all are covered under travel insurance.
6) Trip Cancellation & Interruption
7) One can also get emergency cash as well depending on the type of coverage one has sought.
Most of the insurance companies have a Assistance Service Provider who would guide you in case of emergencies like hospitalisation, while on a travel abroad. For example, ICICI Bank has tied up with United Health Group, one of the largest hospital chains in the US to provide health cover.
It's extremely important to check travel insurance exclusions before you take a policy. These could include pre-exisiting disease, dangerous places to visit, hazardous sports, act of God, self harm etc. Travel insurance can be covered under individuals, family, student travel or senior citizen travel insurance.
Whether it is a pleasure or business trip one most take a travel insurance before one is travelling. The risks to life and health have increased over the years. In case of emergency, including health worries such travel insurance can come in handy. In India companies like ICICI Bank, ICICI Lombard, Bajaj Allianz, Reliance General, HDFC Ergo, Tata AIG and several others provide travel insurance. Each of these companies provide some unique features and you should take a travel insurance policy that meets your own requirements.