Unified Payments Interface (UPI) is a payment platform introduced by the National Payments Corporation of India to allow the instant transfer of funds between two bank accounts without disclosing account information or adding a beneficiary.
It is a platform that combines several bank accounts into a single mobile application, merges many financial services, streamlined fund routing & merchant payments into singlehood.
Major banks have either created a new UPI app or merged the UPI into their current mobile apps. Banks such as ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis, SBI, and PNB come into this group and run their mobile banking applications.
As of now, 155 banks in India are live UPI members. All these banks allow inter-bank fund transfers using UPI.
Using UPI/ Bhim application individuals can do use the following features and more:
- Transfer money 24/7/365
- Single mobile application for accessing different bank accounts
- Transfer money using UPI ID
- Merchant payment with a single application or in-app payments
- Supports multiple ways of payment, including QR code scan
- Simplified authentication using single-click two-factor authentication
- UPI ID provides incremental security
- Supports various transaction types, including pay, collect, etc.
- Ease of raising complaints
How do I pay an online merchant through UPI?
- When you shop-online,
- Select UPI payment options
- Enter your Payment Address (eg - xyz@upi).
- Once entered, you will receive a collect request on your BHIM app.
- Enter your UPI-PIN here and your payment will be complete.
How to opt UPI autoPay for recurring payments?
With this latest facility launched under UPI 2.0, consumers can now allow recurring e-mandates using any UPI recurring payment applications such as mobile bills, electricity bills, EMI payments, entertainment/OTT subscriptions, insurance, mutual funds, and others.
Customized payment options like monthly, quarterly and different amounts for each and every customer is available in UPI recurring mandates.
List of Banks and UPI Handle
|Bank Name||Application Name||Handle|
|State Bank of India||SBI Pay||@Sbi|
|ICICI Bank||iMobile||@imobile, @pockets, @ezeepay, @eazypay, @icici, @okicici|
|HDFC Bank||HDFC Bank MobileBanking||@hdfcbank, @payzapp, @okhdfcbank, @rajgovhdfcbank|
|Bank of Maharashtra||BHIM Maha UPI||@mahb|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||BHIM Kotak Pay||@kotak, @kaypay, @kmb, @kmbl|
|Yes Bank||BHIM Yes Pay||@Yesbank, @yesbankltd|
|United Bank of India||BHIM United UPI Pay||@Ubi, @united, @utbi|
|IDBI Bank||BHIM PAyWIZ by IDBI Bank||@Idbi, @idbibank|
|HSBC||HSBC Simple Pay||@hsbc|
|Punjab National Bank||BHIM PNB||@pnb|
|Central Bank of India||BHIM Cent UPI||@centralbank, @cbin, @cboi|
|Canara Bank||BHIM Canara - eMPower||@cnrb|
|Bank of Baroda||BHIM Baroda Pay||@barodampay|