Here is a quick list of documents needed for filing income tax returns, which should come in hand, particularly while filing returns online. However, it varies from individuals to individuals depending on their income and on their tax slabs.
- PAN Number
- Form-16 issued by your employer
- Bank statements / passbook for Interest Income on bank deposits
- Statements of interest income besides Bank deposits
- TDS certificates issued to you by your bank and others
- Form 26AS - The Income Tax department of the Indian government shows you the tax credit you have received for Tax deducted at source. Click to know how to view 26AS.
- Section 80C investment. Investments done under LIC, NSC, PPF qualify for Section 80C deductions.
- Charitable donation statements. Donations that can be claimed for tax deductions under Section 80G.
- Interest paid on housing loan. Interest on housing loan is eligible for tax saving upto Rs 2,50,000.
The following documents may also be needed for income tax return filing
- Stock trading statement. Profits from stock investment that were made during the year will be taxed under Capital Gains, only if their short trem capital gains.
- Section 80CCF investments. Upto Rs. 20,000 can be claimed as tax deduction under this section
Following documents needed if there is income from residential property
- Housing Loan repayment certificate
- Municipal Corporation tax receipt