TDS/TCS returns will not be received if one fails to mention TAN. Banks too will deny challans for TDS/TCS payments if TAN is not quoted. One has to pay a hefty penalty of Rs.10,000/- if he fails to apply or quote TAN in the specified documents.
TAN is allotted by the Income Tax Department on the basis of the application submitted to Tax Information Network or TIN Facilitation Centres. The TIN Facilitation Centres are managed by National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL).
For all future correspondence related to TDS/TCS, NSDL will intimate the TAN. The correct TAN can be verified from the website of Income Tax Department at www.incometaxindia.gov.in.
Methods to apply for TAN
- Application Form 49B is to be collected from TIN Facilitation Centres.
- Form 49B can also be downloaded from the Income-tax Department website www.incometaxindia.gov.in or NSDL website http://tin.nsdl.com.
- The filled forms are to be submitted at any of TIN Facilitation Centres for receipt of e-TDS return.
- No document is required to be filed along with the application.
- One has to pay the processing fee of Rs. 50 plus service taxes as applicable for TAN.
- One can also opt for online application via the website http://tin.nsdl.com.
- In online application, the acknowledgement generated after filing up the form is required to be forwarded to NSDL.
- Any incomplete form will be will not be received by TIN Facilitation Centres.
TAN can be used for all type of deductions like salary, interest, dividend etc. The same number can be used for all returns, challans and certificates. However, branches of companies and banks can have separate TAN.
In case of a duplicate TAN being allotted, an application is to submitted for the cancellation of the TAN using the "Form for Changes or Correction in TAN" either downloaded from NSDL website or collected from any TIN Facilitation Centres. Any change or address or details can be rectified using the same form.
Whom to contact for yout TAN?
Remember that you need to contact the TAN facilitation centres to get your TAN. The list of these TAN facilitation centres keep changing from time to time. You need to have the updated list for these TAN centres. It is important that all those who are cutting tax should have the numbers. Make sure the numbers are correct when you deduct the tax. Also note, that there is minimal need of documentation when applying for TAN. So, go ahead and apply for the same.