When you don't receive your refund cheque on time, that is the time when you realise that account number mentioned in the income tax department is closed or may be you have mentioned wrong account number.
In such cases, one need not panic and update the bank account number along with the MICR code where credit is to be effected to the Assessing Officer.
Procedure to apply for Refund Reissue:
1. Logon on to IncomeTax site with your user ID and Password.
2. Go to MY Account Refund Reissue Request
3. You need to enter the necessary details such as CPC reference number, refund sequence number, and date of birth.
Enter the following:
CPC Communication Reference No: You would've received an "Intimation u/s 143(1)" or a "Rectification Order u/s 154" from the IT department informing you of the failed refund. The CPC Communication Reference No. is the number on the first page of this letter. It will be in the format CPC/1011/P2/xxxxxxxxxx where "xxxxxxxxxx" represents a ten digit number.
4. Click on Validate button
Assessee has two option to apply Refund Reissue- ECS or Paper.
6. ECS Mode: Select mode of Refund reissue,
7. Other option is Bank Account Details - If you click on Yes, there you can update your bank account details and click submit.
Earlier, tax payer needs to download the "Response Sheet" from the Income Tax website and take a printout of the same. Here are the steps for the same.
1. Visit https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/index.do
2. Enter login details.
3. Sub menu 'Response Sheet For Refund Failure Status
4. Fill in the necessary fields in the Response sheet
If intimation is received, then the Response sheet will be sent along with it. c. Original Cancelled Cheque should be enclosed with it as a proof.
In case if there is no cheque, Passbook front page/Bank statement with seal and signature is accepted.
Not received income tax refund?
Remember, if you have not received your income tax refund, you should check whether the details of your bank account is correct. In case you have closed your bank account ans competely forgot about it, you can use the above means to get a duplicate income tax refund.
The prerogative of updating your bank account does not wrest with the Income Tax Department, but with you.