The registration of legal heir in the Income Tax site is for the purpose of filing tax on behalf of deceased person.
As per Income Tax Act, liability to file the income tax return and pay-off and remaining tax dues of the deceased lies with the legal representative or executor.
In case of refund and any income, would be included in the return of the legal heir and would be credited in the bank account of the legal representative as he/she is now the assessee for the income of the deceased person. Click to know why registering a WILL is more important than creating a WILL?
Following are the steps for registration of Legal Heir:
Step 1 - Login to e-Filing Site
Step 2 - Go to 'My Account'
Provide the necessary details like Type of request, PAN, DOB, Surname, First Name, attach scanned copy of death certificate.
Step 3 - Provide the necessary details and attach a zip file containing the below documents, maximum should be 1 MB
- Copy of the Death Certificate
- Copy of PAN card of the deceased
- Self-attested PAN card copy and
- Legal Heir certificate
- Affidavit in presence of a Notary Public.
Any one can act as document that will be accepted as Legal Heir certificate.
- The legal heir certificate issued by court of law
- The legal heir certificate issued by the Local revenue authorities.
- The certificate of surviving family members issued by the local revenue authorities
- The registered will
- The Family pension certificate issued by the State/Central government.
Step 4 - Click Submit.
The request will be sent to the e-Filing
Step 5 - The e-Filing Administrator will review/verify the request and approve/ not approve as applicable.
e-Filing Administrator may approve as Temporary Legal Heir or Permanent Legal Heir, based on the documents uploaded. An e-mail is sent to the registered e-mail ID.