For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

    Income Tax: What Complaints Can You Take to Ombudsman?


    Individuals can complain to the Income Tax Ombudsman about grievances relating to Income tax such as delay in transfer of files, harassment during a search, a survey or assessment proceedings, discourteous behavior of officials, at the time of hearings etc.

    Income Tax: What Complaints Can You Take to Ombudsman?

    Grievance redressal is a major aspect of the department's public relations exercise. One can approach ombudsman with issues mentioned below.

    • Issue of refunds
    • Interest waiver petitions
    • Appeal effects
    • Rectification applications
    • Release of seized books of account and assets
    • Allotment of PANs/issue of PAN Cards

    You can also complain of such matters as failure to:

    • Give credit for taxes paid, including tax deducted at source
    • Maintain transparency in selection of cases for scrutiny
    • Follow the guidelines, circulars and instructions of the Central Board of Direct Taxes;
    • Observe proper working hours by Income-tax officials;
    • Acknowledge letters and documents forwarded by the assessee;

    Maintain or update records and registers leading to harassment- "A person can also complain about any unwarranted rude behaviour of Income Tax officials with assesses.", as per the ombudsman.

    On receiving your complaint, the Ombudsman will examine it to see if certain basic conditions laid down in the Guidelines have been fulfilled or not.

    However, there are few conditions which need to be fulfilled before taking any notice or action. 

    Note that one needs to mention:
    1) The name,address and PAN of the complainant
    2) The name and designation of the official who is being complained against
    3) The facts on which the complaints are based - including the supporting documents
    4) The relief sought from the Ombudsman

    Read more about: income tax ombudsman pan
    Story first published: Friday, May 15, 2015, 10:01 [IST]
    Company Search
    Enter the first few characters of the company's name or the NSE symbol or BSE code and click 'Go'

    Find IFSC

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Goodreturns sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Goodreturns website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more