It is a time of the year, when most salaried individuals run around for collecting investment proof for the purpose of saving Income Tax.
Tax liability of a salaried individual is deducted by the employer as TDS on salary earned on the basis of the net taxable income.
So to avoid TDS deduction, employers every financial year demand a declaration with respect of investment that the employee intends to invest and depending on which tax rebates are offered.
The declaration in this respect is further cross-checked by the employer who demands proof in lieu of investment made in December, January or Feb of a given financial year.
Here is a list of proofs to be submitted for different investments:
1) Rent Receipt
The first month to latest rent paid receipt in original or a copy of the current rental agreement. Note that along with receipt rent agreement is compulsory.
2) Educational institution
Individuals can submit tuition fees paid receipt during the financial year. Note this is not applicable for development fees, donation, payment of similar nature.
Copy of the NSC certificate. Date of investment must be visible in the copy.
4) Interest on Housing Loan
Individuals should provide a certificate as mentioned under 'Principal Prepayment' section where the property is self occupied.
5) Income or Loss on House Property
In case where the property is rented, submit filled up Form of declaration along with computation duly signed.
6) Home loan Principal repayment
Individuals can submit certificate of repayment from the Financial institutions giving the break up of Principal and Interest repayment.
7) Copy of deposit receipt
Submit a copy of the passbook, where the page showing latest deposit and balance as on that date.
8. Any investment made under Jeevan Suraksha or Us80CCC.
9) For PPF investments, keep the copy of the stamped deposit receipt or copy of Passbook duly attested.
10) Premium paid receipt in the financial year for investment made under Ulips.
11) Individuals can submit the receipt for any donations made to eligible institutions.
12. Also, submit the receipt for any investments made under 80U, 80D, or 80DD.
13. In case if there is a change in company, form 16 and form No 12B or Form 12b AND Tax Computation statement which needs to be attested by the Authorized Signatory of the previous company to be submitted.
14. In the case of a bank tax saving fixed deposit, a copy of the receipt must be submitted to the company to ensure that tax is not deducted on the last month of the calendar year.