7 Documents To Check Before Filing Income Tax Returns

Posted By:
Subscribe to GoodReturns

The tax season is around the corner and it is better to file your tax returns before hand to avoid rush at the last minute. There are taxpayers who procrastinate till the last moment to repent later. Before filing returns tax payer has to keep ready and check few documents to avoid any mistakes and discrepancy.

You need to keep documents ready. However, documents vary depending on the type of income and nature of investments.

Here are some basic documents which you should keep ready other than PAN card.

1) Form 26AS

The Income Tax department of the Indian government shows you the tax credit you have received for Tax deducted at source. This form will includes details such as TDS deducted on your salary, interest income, pension income and prize winnings etc. Click to know how to view 26AS.

2) Form 16

Form 16 is very necessary as it acts as salary proof and tax paid to the government. At the end of the every financial year, the employer provides you form 16.
Form 16 is needed for the purpose of filing returns, as it will help you file your salary income.

3) Form 16A

This form is for non-salaried employee who works as a professional for an organization. This is used in various cases where tax is deducted.
Form 16A is issued in cases like interest on securities, winning lottery or horse race, fees earned from professional or technical services etc.

4) Housing Loan repayment certificate

Home loan repayment certificate is required to avail tax deduction. The interest of home loan is entered in the column of income from the property.

5) Bank Statements

Collect the statements from all the accounts including demat account to crosscheck the investment made, expenses occurred, interest earned etc.
The stock investment that was made during the year may be taxed under capital gains.

6) Investments proofs

There are chances that you must have made tax saving investment after the deadline to submit to employer. Such investment should be made and entered while filing returns.

Also, investment documents made under section 80C investment documents such as PPF, NSC, ULIPS, ELSS, RGESS which qualify for deductions under Section 80C, must be kept ready.

7) Other proofs include


  • Children's school fees
  • Insurance premium payment
  • Stamp-duty and registration charge
  • Principal repayment on your home


Read more about: tax returns, income tax
Please Wait while comments are loading...
Company Search
Enter the first few characters of the company's name or the NSE symbol or BSE code and click 'Go'


Get Latest News alerts from Goodreturns