New tax payers or assesses in lower tax bracket can consider filing their returns with the help of Tax Return Preparer (TRP) who will help you file returns at your doorstep.
These individuals are trained by income tax department under Tax Return Preparer Scheme to file income tax returns and help taxpayers.
What Do TRP Do?
1. Prepare the return with due diligence
2. Affix his signature on the return prepared by him.
3. Furnish the return with the Assessing Officer having the jurisdiction over the concerned assessee or to any other officer or agency as may be directed by the Resource Centre with the approval of the Board.
4. Hand over a copy of the return to the person whose return is prepared and furnished by him.
5. Retain a copy of the acknowledgment of having furnished the return.
6. Furnish a statement of particulars mentioned in item (vi) for every month on or before the seventh day of the immediately following month to the Resource Centre.
7. In respect of returns prepared and furnished by him during a month, maintain record of the following, namely:
- He name of assessees whose returns of income have been prepared and furnished by him during that month;
- The permanent account number of such assessees;
- Assessment year;
- Date of furnishing the return;
- Acknowledgment number;
- Jurisdiction of the Assessing Officer;
- Amount of income declared in the return;
- Amount of tax payable;
- Amount of tax paid;
- The amount disbursable to him under sub-paragraph (1) of paragraph 9 of this Scheme for any eligible assessment year mentioned therein;
- The fee charged and received by him under sub-paragraph (2) of paragraph 9 of this Scheme;
Where you can find TRP?
Individuals can visit website of TRPS and find out a TRP by entering the city or one can call and fix an appointment by filling the respective form. For more details one can contact by calling the helpline at 1800-10-23738 or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do they charge?
Some TRPs get incentive of 3 per cent if the person (taxpayer) is filing for the first time and 2 per cent for the second and 1 per cent for the 3rd time.
A TRP is not eligible to get any incentive if a person has already filed his returns more than 3 times. In such cases, TRPs charge some nominal fee. However, they are not allowed to charge more than Rs 250.
TRP can be of great help for individuals who are filing their returns for the first time and or one can consider filing returns for their parents or spouse.