TDS Implication On Property Sale For Resident And Non-Resident Indian

Subscribe to GoodReturns
For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

    Sale of a property in India with gains makes you realize capital gains that can either be short or long term capital gains depending upon the holding period of the capital asset. So, if a residential premise is sold, after a period of 2 years (in budget 2017 reduced from 3 to 2 years) from the date of owning it- it accrues long term capital gains. Else, in the other situation when the premise is held for 2 years or less then there is a short term capital gain.

    TDS Implication On Property Sale For Resident And Non-Resident Indian

    Capital Gains Tax and TDS implication for NRIs

    If the NRI sells his property in India then he will be liable to pay tax on capital gains. LTCG are taxed at the rate of 20% while short term capital gains are taxed as per the applicable income tax slab rate of the NRI based on his total income which is taxable in India.

    In case of inheritance similar tax implications apply

    In case the property has been inherited then for knowing whether the said gains will be short-term or long-term in nature, you need to account for the date of purchase by the original owner. The property cost in such a case will be the cost to the previous or original owner.

    How much TDS is deductible for NRIs?

    In case the property is being sold after a holding period of 2 years from the date of purchase by the NRI then the buyer is liable to deduct TDS @ 20%. Else if the held property is sold before 2 years then a TDS deduction @ 30% is to be charged.
    In case of a resident Indian, TDS implication is 1 % on sale proceeds.

    Important points to note for NRIs

    NRIs may need to report such gains realized in India by selling a property in their country of residence.


    If NRIs do not want tax deduction at source and wish to invest realized capital gains they need to produce Nil TDS certificate for the same from the income tax dept.

    NRIs can repatriate a maximum of $1 million in a financial year and for this purpose a relevant certificate from Chartered Accountant has to be submitted.

    Also, you must file an income tax return to report such transactions, gains realized and capital gains exemption claimed irrespective of whether or not any tax is payable by you.

    Company Search
    Enter the first few characters of the company's name or the NSE symbol or BSE code and click 'Go'

    Find IFSC

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Goodreturns sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Goodreturns website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more