For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

How To Apply PAN Card For A Minor In India?


Yes, individuals can apply for PAN Card for a minor child without any hassle. Minor is a person who is below the age of 18 years.


However, the minor cannot apply for a pan card directly. Parents, guardians or representative assessee's of the minor can apply for PAN card.

How To Apply PAN Card For A Minor In India?

In case, where minor is made nominee in any investments such as stocks, real estate, mutual funds PAN card is mandatory.

Documents needed to apply for minor PAN card

a. Aadhaar Card issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India; or
b. Elector's photo identity card or
c. Driving License or
d. Passport or
e. Ration card
f. Proof of date of birth
g. 2 Photo graphs of minor

In case of Minor, any of the above-mentioned documents as proof of identity and address of any of the parents/guardians of such minor shall be deemed to be the proof of identity and address for the minor applicant.

For minor applicants, Aadhaar of minor should be mentioned in the application form not the representative assessee's Aadhaar number.

There is no separate procedure or form to apply for a minor pan card.


The procedure for requesting a PAN card for a minor online is mentioned below:

  • Visit the NSDL Tax Information Network website and click on the "Online PAN Application" tab.
  • Select the appropriate option from the drop-down menu, i.e. Form 49 or Form 49A, depending on your residency status.
  • After following the instructions, select the applicant category from the drop-down list provided and click "Select".
  • Fill in the information requested in the form that appears on the screen.
  • Download the supporting documents as indicated in the instructions on the form and pay the processing fees online.
  • Once the form is completed, click on "Submit" after which a reference number will appear on the screen. This can be used to track the status of the application.
  • The PAN card will be sent by post to the address mentioned in the form.

Benefits of Requesting a PAN Card for a Child:

There are many advantages associated with applying for a Pan card for a minor, which are listed below:

  • If the minor is to be named on property, stocks or any other financial product, the minor will need a PAN card.
  • If an investment is to be made in the name of the minor, the details of the minor's PAN card must be provided at that time.
  • Since a PAN card is a permanent number that will not be changed during the life of the holder, the child's PAN card number will remain the same regardless of name/address.

Although a PAN card is intended to gather all the tax information relating to the holder, the income of a minor from any income or investment he holds will not be taxable, except under certain conditions mentioned below:

If the minor has a physical handicap, suffers from total blindness, etc.If the minor himself earned the incomeIf the income/investment results from the child's application of his skills and talents.The online PAN application process for minors.


  • Select Individual Category
  • Fill in all compulsory info (Instructions)
  • Fill range code, area code ( Click for details)
  • Submit online application edit if necessary
  • On confirmation, an acknowledgment will be displayed.
  • Save and print this acknowledgment.
  • After submission Paste your color photograph.
  • Sign the acknowledgment Payment.

Payment can be made either by Demand Draft Cheque Credit Card / Debit Card Net Banking.

The acknowledgement duly signed, affixed with photograph along with Demand Draft, if any, and proof of identity & proof of address Individuals, HUFs, Body of Individuals.

Application to be sent to
NSDL 'Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune - 411016'

Income Tax

As per the Income Tax law, income of minor child earned from manual work or any activity which involves application of skill, knowledge, talent, experience, etc. will not be clubbed with the income of his/her parent.

However, addition from such income will be clubbed with the income of parent of such minor. Income of minor will be clubbed along with the income of that parent whose income (excluding minor's income) is higher.

Read more about: pan card minor income tax
Company Search
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X