Age limits for using a Pan Card have not been defined by the Income Tax Department, so even minors are also liable to hold a Pan Card.
Scroll down and get to know that what are the benefits of PAN Card for minors and procedure to apply.
Benefits of Applying PAN Card for Minors
- In case you want to make your child as the nominee of your investments
- In an investment is to be made in the name of the minor
- In case you want to open a bank account for your child or a Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account for your daughter.
- Usually, a minor’s income is clubbed with the parent’s income. However, it is taxable when:-
- In case the minor is physically disabled
In case the minor has earned income on their own.
- In case the minor earns income through their own manual work, knowledge, skill and talent.
Applying PAN Card for a Minor
The method of requesting a Pan Card for a minor is intuitive and transparent. For those who interested in applying for PAN Card, the government offered the service in both online and offline mode. Minors are restricted to apply directly for Pan Card themselves, hence the guardians, relatives or representatives of the minors must apply for PAN Card on their behalf. Following are the step by step tutorial to apply for PAN Card for minors.
Applying PAN Card for a Minor Through NSDL
- Go to the official site of NSDL portal
- Now under the drop-down box of services which is located in the top bar of the page, click on PAN.
- Select Form 49A or Form 49AA according to the resident type.
- Carefully read all the instructions, select the category of the applicant from the drop-down list provided and click “Select”.
- Fill all the mandated and Personal details of the minor.
- Upload all the relevant documents and photograph of the minor as mentioned in the Form's guideline.
- A signature of the guardian or parents will be required in order to go further for completing the process.
- A fee of Rs. 107 (Rs. 989 for non-resident Indians) via credit card, debit card, net banking or demand draft, is required to complete the process.
- Once the payment has been done click on Submit.
- Now an acknowledgement or reference number is generated on the screen. Keep this Acknowledgement Number with you in order to track the PAN Card Application Status.
- Enclose all the required documents along with the demand draft in an envelope.
- Label the enclosed envelop with “APPLICATION FOR PAN” and the “Acknowledgement Number” at the following address:
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411016.
Once the process is done you will get your Pan Card at your doorstep within 10-15 working days.
Applying PAN Card for a Minor through Offline
- Go to the official site of NSDL portal.
- Read all the instructions and download Form 49A.
- Fill in the relevant details as per the documents and attach copies of the documents required.
- For a minor PAN card, no photograph is required.
- Pay the fees and submit the documents along with all the documents at the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL office.
- Once the verification is done the PAN Card is delivered at your doorstep within 10-15 working days.
Documents Required to Apply Pan Card for Minors
Proof of identity
- Aadhaar card
- Ration card
- Driving license
- Photo ID card issued by the Government
- Voter’s ID card
- Arm’s license
- Pensioner card
- Central Government Health Service Scheme card
- Ex-servicemen Contributory Health Scheme photo card
- Original Certificate of identity signed by a Member of Parliament/Member of Legislative Assembly or Legislative Council/Gazetted Officer
- Original bank certificate on official letterhead along with photograph from issuing bank branch, attested by a bank officer
Proof of Address
- Valid Passport
- Voter’s ID card
- Domicile certificate issued by a state government
- Aadhaar card
- Post office passbook mentioning the applicant’s address
- Property document
- Original Certificate of address signed by a Member of Parliament/Member of Legislative Assembly or Legislative Council/Gazetted Officer
- Electricity/landline/water/consumer gas bill (not more than 3 months old)
- Credit card/account statement (not more than 3 months old)
Proof of Age
- Aadhaar Card
- Birth Certificate
- Mark sheet of recognised board
- Photo ID card issued by Government
- Domicile certificate
- Central Government Health Service Scheme photo card