If you are a Non-resident Indian, you can open an SBI account if you are on a visit to India. You need to carry your passport for opening an SBI account.
If you want to open the account when you are outside India follow this procedure:
- Collect and fill the NRI Application Form. You can collect this form from the official website at SBI.
- The NRI need to get his or her application attested by an SBI official or at the Indian consulate. You can have the application form notarized locally.
- Submit the application form with a copy of your passport and initial remittance to a branch of your convenience offering INB service in India.
- You can also hand over these documents to an SBI branch nearby if one is available.
- You need to specify instructions to open an account in India at the branch of your choice.
The SBI branch where you opened the account, will provide you the details of your account, deposit Certificate or cheque book/passbook, ATM card, Internet banking ID and password according to the type of account you opened. What Is SBI Fast Cash Withdrawal? How To Use Fast Cash Through SBI ATM?