A salaried employee working for monthly income in companies has his/her retirement covered by the Employee's Provident Fund Scheme. A plan covering the old-age problems of the those working for daily wages were almost non-existent. With the launch of Atal Pension Yojana in 2015, the government made sure all citizens of India can avail pension facilities.
What is Atal Pension Yojana?
Atal Pension Yojana is an Indian government-backed scheme designed to help masses working in the unorganized sector. It is started and governed by PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority). The premium contribution is fairly small. The pension starts when you reach 60 years of age.
- You need to be an Indian Citizen.
- You have to be within the age group of 18 to 40 years.
- You should hold an Aadhar card.
- You should have an active savings account. If not, you can open a new account free of charge under Jan Dhan Yojana in any Indian bank.
- You cannot be a member of any other social security system.
- You have to pay the monthly contribution without fail to avoid fine.
Atal Pension Premium Plan
- You can decide a fixed amount to pay every month as per your capacity. The bigger your premium, the larger the benefit after retirement.
- The monthly amount cannot be below Rs. 42 or exceed Rs. 1,454.
- You can increase the pension slab later in time to increase premium contribution.
- A pensioner is entitled to a minimum pension of Rs 1,000 and a maximum of Rs 5,000.
- The amount will be auto- deducted from you savings account every month.
- You cannot open more than one APY account.
- Government of India will contribute to the subscriber's account with 50% of the premium or Rs 1000 (whichever is less) for the first 5 years, if you are not a tax payer.
- Your nominee shall receive the pension after your death.
- You can avail the scheme even if you do not have a job.
How to apply for Atal Pension Yojana?
- Contact the bank's branch where you have your savings account. SBI and ICICI also provide online facility to apply for the scheme through internet banking.
- You will have to fill the Atal Pension Yojana Form with your mobile number and Aadhar ID.
- The first premium will be auto-debited on the first day, so make sure your account has enough amount to cover it.
- Failure to pay premium for a long period of time could lead to suspension or termination of the scheme.
Toll-free helpline numbers & Tax Benefit
Above are state wise toll free helpline numbers for Atal Pension Yojana.
Exemption can be claimed under Section 80CCD. Current Limit for 80CCD exemption is Rs 50,000.