There could be many reasons to want to cancel or deactivate a credit card. It could be to cultivate a habit of controlled purchases, or you may want to go for a different credit card plan suitable for your needs within the same/different bank or you may wish to not own multiple cards. Whatever the case may be, if the card is no longer useful, it is good to cancel it.
How to cancel an HDFC Bank Credit Card?
To start the cancellation process you can call a toll free customer service number. Here are numbers for some of the major cities in India:
|Ahmedabad||079 6160 6161|
|Bengaluru||080 6160 6161|
|Chandigarh||0172 6160 6161|
|Chennai||044 6160 6161|
|Cochin||0484 6160 6161|
|Delhi NCR||011 6160 6161|
|Hyderabad||040 6160 6161|
|Indore||0731 6160 6161|
|Jaipur||0141 6160 6161|
|Kolkata||033 6160 6161|
|Lucknow||0522 6160 6161|
|Mumbai||022 6160 6161|
|Pune||020 6160 6161|
For Agra, Ajmer, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhubaneshwar, Bokaro, Cuttack, Dhanbad, Dehradun, Erode, Guwahati, Hissar, Jammu and Srinagar, Jamshedpur, Jhansi, Jodhpur, Karnal, Kanpur, Madurai, Mangalore, Mathura, Meerut, Moradabad, Muzzafarpur, Mysore, Pali, Patiala, Patna, Rajkot, Ranchi, Rourkela, Salem, Shimla, Siliguri, Silvassa, Trichy, Udaipur and Varanasi the toll free number would be 1800 266 4332.
If you live in any city besides these, find the customer care number from this link.
The next step in the cancellation process is to download the HDFC Bank Credit Card Closure Form, print and fill it. This form will have to be posted to the following address:
HDFC Bank Credit Cards Division,
PO Box 8654,
You will be required to mention the number of your card and the card holder's name in the form. Do not put important sensitive details like CVV and PIN.
Important things to keep in mind before initiating the cancellation
- If you have any reward points accumulated, it needs to be redeemed online prior to card closure through NetBanking.
- If the card is already closed, the redemption of points should be done within 30 days from the card closure date after which the points will lapse.
- Refer your latest statement through NetBanking or at your nearest branch for reward points accumulated.
- You can log on to www.hdfcbank.com to refer to MyRewards catalogue to check your redemption eligibility and to download the redemption coupon. A processing fee of Rs. 99 plus taxes is applicable per redemption request. Duly filled in redemption coupon will have to be sent to the following address: HDFC Bank Cards Division, P.O.Box No.8654, Thiruvanmiyur P.O. Chennai - 600 041.
- On initiating the cancellation process, cut the credit card diagonally. If you use the card after applying for cancellation, fresh dues will be generated and this will lead to the termination of the closure process.
- On cancellation of the primary credit card, all add-on credit cards will be deactivated automatically.
- Transactions (if any) incurred on your card prior to closure will be processed/billed as and when received from merchants and the same stands payable.
- For credit card issued basis lien on FD, lien removal can be processed only upon clearing the outstanding dues. You can check your card outstanding (billed and unbilled) details through Netbanking, missed call banking toll-free number 1800-270-3311 from your registered mobile number.
- In case a loan is active on the card account same will get pre-closed attracting a preclosure fee [if applicable] at 3 percent of the balance loan amount and the same stands payable on account of card closure.
How will it effect your credit score?
Having multiple credit cards increases the total credit limit of the individual. Upon cancellation, your credit limit with decrease and the ratio of credit utilisation will be higher, and this could impact your CIBIL score negatively. However, If you have other ways to build the score, it will not be a problem.
How to reactivate a cancelled HDFC Bank Credit Card?
If you wish to reactivate a closed credit card, the process is the same. You need to call the customer care and then download, print and fill the related form from this link and send it the above mentioned address.