Taking a motor insurance in India is compulsory and rightly so. But, we should be fully aware of the reimbursement policies at all times and read the fine print.
Claiming for insurance can be tedious as insurance company's follow certain rules and restrictions. If one has bought policy without understanding he will be in deep trouble and may have to shed from his pocket.
Also read: Motor Insurance: 5 Must Know Things Before Buying an Insurance Policy
Here are 7 simple reasons why insurance may get rejected
1. The insurer will not pay the amount if the driver is under the influence of alcohol, even if it is not his mistake.
Also, it will be rejected if the driver of the vehicle does not have valid driving license.
2. There will be an issue if the information provided while buying a policy actually differs with truth.
Do provide the exact details and information as insurer may reject the claim stating the application as inaccurate or false.
3. In case of second hand vehicle, if the insurance policy is not transferred to the present owner there is no question of making a claim. Or if the policy is lapsed.
4. If the private vehicle is used for business purpose and insurance is bought as a private vehicle.
5. It may also happen, that you may receive the amount less than expected. This is because of the depreciation of the vehicle.
6. In case of theft, insurance company may reject your claim if you fail to produce relevant documents particularly related to complaints at the loacl police station.
7. Individuals should notify the claim at the earliest and report the accident.