Aadhaar cards are must for everyone, even a newborn can now apply for it. From availing mid-day meal in school to booking a railway ticket, everyone needs to produce Aadhaar card number. The 12 digit identification number is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on behalf of the Government of India. Aadhaar card can be used to provide proof of address and identity in any part of India. Aadhaar card for your child will act as one of the initial identity proofs.
Aadhaar Card is an essential proof to avail many services like Railway Ticket Booking, Public Distribution Service (ration), opening a bank account, etc.
An individual of any age can apply for Aadhaar card number in India. Children, including newborns can apply for the unique identification number.
Why kids need Aadhaar?
An Aadhaar number is now the most important identity proof in India. Many schools insist parents to produce Aadhaar card during school admission.
In March 2017, the government made Aadhaar mandatory for children to become a part of the midday meal scheme. The ministry of human resource development had announced that the midday meal would no longer be free for children without an Aadhaar card.
Your child could miss out on such government-funded schemes.
How to apply for Aadhaar card for kids
- Aadhaar for a child is also known as "Baal Aadhaar" and is blue in colour.
- Go to your nearest Aadhaar centre to enrol your child.
- The parent or guardian's Aadhaar along with the child's birth certificate is required to enrol your kid for Aadhaar.
- Biometric will not be collected from kids up to the age of five.
- The kid's Aadhaar will be linked to her/his parent's Aadhaar.
Things to know
- Even a newborn child can enroll for an Aadhaar number.
- No biometric data such as fingerprint will be collected for children below 5 years of age as a child's biometrics are not completely developed till they are 5.
- When the kid turns 5, his or her biometric data which includes fingerprint and iris scan would be taken. There will be no change in the Aadhaar card number.
- The biometric details need to be updated when the kid turns 15 years of age. This will be the final biometric data recording for Aadhaar.
There are not many documents required for applying for Aadhar card for kids. The following documents are necessary for making an application:
- Birth certificate of the child OR Photo ID issued by the child's school (if the kid is old enough to go to school)
- Aadhaar card details of the child's parents
- Address proof of the child's parents
- Identity proof of the child's parents
Process Of Aadhar Card For Child Online Registration
1. Visit Unique Identification Authority of India's (UIDAI) website and go to the Aadhaar card registration link.
2. Procure the required form. Fill the details such as the name of the kid, Phone number of the parent, e-mail id of the parent, etc. Make sure to give your permanent number and e-mail address.
3. After filling personal details, provide demographic details such as the state, district, locality, location of the parents, etc.
4. Click on Fix Appointment button. It would fix an appointment at the Aadhaar Card Enrollment Center or e-Seva Kendra. You've selected.
5. After fixing the appointment just head for the office on the date of the appointment. Make sure you take the documents mentioned above and the reference number along with a print out of the form to the center with you on the date of the appointment.
6. At the Centre, all documents including the parents' Aadhaar card will be verified.
7. After verification, if the child is above 5 years old, his or her biometric details will be taken and then linked to their Aadhaar card.
Post verification procedure
After the audit and successful enrollment, the applicant will be given an Acknowledgement number. This number is a temporary record number to help you verify your application.
Aadhaar card delivery
When the verification is complete, you will receive an SMS that the process has been successful on the same number you entered during the online appointment process.
Once you got this SMS from UIDAI, you will get your Aadhaar card physically sent to you within 60 days of the SMS. Linking Aadhaar With PAN: What To Do If Name On Aadhaar Does Not Match With PAN?
If you do not receive your Aadhar card even after 60 days of application, then you can check the application status online.
If the status shows the Aadhar is ready, you can also, download the eAadhar card and take a print out.
An eAadhar is valid. For downloading e-Aadhaar visit the eaadhar.uidai.gov.in.