- The Company was incorporated as a private limited company and was
promoted by TPG Nambiar. It was promoted in technical and financial
collaboration with BPL Instruments Ltd., U.K. The Company manufacture
electronic test and measuring instruments and electro medical
instruments, electro cardio graft patient monitoring systems, colour &
Black & White TV receivers, video cassette recorders, plain paper
- Permission was obtained for manufacture of plain paper copiers in
technical collaboration with Gestaner UK. Later improved state-of-the
art plain paper copiers were introduced in technical collaboration with
- The Company diversified into consumer electronics field, colour
television receivers, black & white TV receivers, video cassette
recorders etc. The products are marketed under the brand name `BPL'.
- 176,00,000 No. of equity shares held by promoters. During March
1994, the Company offered 82,00,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each
for cash at a prem. of Rs 105 per share as follows: (i) on firms
allotment basis: 75,000 shares to promoters, directors, friends etc.;
(ii) 10,00,000 shares to UTI/ICICI/SCICI. Another 2,00,000 shares
issued in preferential allotment basis to employees. (Only 1,97,600
shares taken up). Balance 69,25,000 shares along with 2,400 shares not
taken up by employees issued to public. In addition 9,00,000 shares
were issued at a premium of Rs 155 per share to FIIs on firm allotment
- The Company has embarked on the export oriented project for
manufacture of Alkaline Batteries.
- The Company undertook the modernisation-cum-Expansion Project at its
TV manufacturing facilities at Hoskote and Arakera and PCB
manufacturing facility at Doddaballapur. It has its capacity to
manufacture 4 lakh nos. of CTVs. It was proposed to introduce TVs with
additional superior features as per requirement and customer
- Machineries were to be procured from Asia Matsushita Electronic (C)
Pvt, Ltd., Singapore, Dainippa Screen Singapore Pvt Ltd., Lam Thong
Pannel & Silk Screen Supplier Pvt. Ltd. Singapore etc.
- 10,00,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 120
per share allotted to warrantholders, Rs 30 per shares called up (F.V.
called up Rs 2.50, premium called up Rs 27.50.).
- The Company has embarked on the export-oriented project for
manufacture of eco-friendly Alkaline Batteries. A state-of-the-art
fully automated production facility is being set up at a new location
in Dobaspet, Tumkur District, Karnataka.
- BPL Automatics Ltd. and UPTRON Colour Picture Tubes Ltd. are the
subsidiary companies of the company.
- The Company launched Alkaline batteries in Indian market in August.
The Batteries are sold in Japan under the brand names SANYO and FUJI
- BPL has struck a deal with Hindustan Lever (HLL) by offering four
kilos of International Surf Excel free with the purchase of a top
loading BPL washing machine.
- The Karnataka government accorded approval to BPL Ltd to start a
manganese dioxide battery unit, in collaboration with an Indonesian
firm, at Somanahalli in Mandya district.
- BPL India Ltd has been awarded the first prize for growth in exports
in the consumer electronics category for 1995-96.
- The company has entered into a 50:50 joint venture with PT
International Chemical Industries Co Ltd of Indonesia to form BPL PTI
Chemical Industries Ltd based in Bangalore.
- The electronic consumer major BPL Ltd has entered into an alliance
with Korean Heavy Industries & Construction Ltd for its power project
at Ramagundam in Andhra Pradesh.
- BPL Connect has launched a cross-border paging service called
`Connect Overseas', connecting UAE with Kerala. The company has
launched the new value-added service in association with Motorola and
the UAE based Memo Express and Global Net.
- Earlier, in October 1994, BPL and the Andhra Pradesh State
Electricity Board signed a PPA, which has been revised. The date of
commissioning of the project has been set for July 2000.
- The Company launched new cooking range incorporating Italian
technology, the company also introduced two new models of ultra-sound
scanners embodying the latest technology and three new models of
electrocardiographs with advanced technology.
- BPL Ltd is entering into a manufacturing and marketing alliance with
an undisclosed colour TV maker based in Europe, to avail of the
advantage of 14 per cent tax concession on exports to the European
- BPL Mobile has introduced three new models with hands free kits in
the Mobile on the Spot Package. The three models include Motorola Amio
A 180, Siemens S6 Power and Philips Twist, the latest models in the
- BPL Mobile has introduced the mobile long distance (MLD) facility, by
which a subscriber can call over 40 destinations in Tamil Nadu at the
rate lower than department of telecommunications (DoT) charges.
- BPL Ltd, launched its latest range of products, in Hyderabad. The
technology for these products was developed through BPL's tie-ups with
global industry leaders. BPL Mobile has launched a range of pre-paid
- BPL Mobile has introduced the automatic roaming (auto roam) service
in Tamil Nadu.
- BPL Automation Ltd. one of the subsidiaries of the company became a
wholly owned subsidiary of the company on 21st July.
- 50,00,000 redeemable pref. shares of Rs 100 each issued. 1,00,000
No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each (prem. of Rs 130 per shares) issued
on conversion of warrants.
- BPL Mobile is introducing the mobile on the spot prepaid card with an
over the air customisation facility in Tamil Nadu.
- Consumer electronics major BPL and Microsoft, Corporation India Pvt
Ltd have formed a joint strategic initiative to provide interactive
voice response, computer telephony and call centre applications.
- BPL, the consumer electronics and telecom major, has entered into a
memorandum of understanding (MoU) with RITES, a public sector company
under the ministry of railways, to form a joint venture company to
build a broad band telecom network under the liberalised telecom
- Bajaj Auto Finance has entered into a tie-up with BPL to finance the
later's white goods and their customer durables.
- BPL announced the launch of bplnet.com, its internet business. It
will be offered under group company, BPL Innovision, the group's arm
that is into information technology and the internet business.
- BPL has launched Oyeindia.com, a youth portal which will provide a
platform for youth to converge, communicate, consult and connect.
- BPL has set up a think-tank comprising of senior officials of the
company, to look into strategic planning and provide a roadmap for
BPL's future journeys into a converging world.
- BPL is set to launch its front-loading, fully computerised washing
machine range by July.
- BPL Ltd., the holding company of BPL Group, is set to launch BPL
Digital, a new premium colour television brand, hearalding the
convergence of internet and cellular services with the entertainment
- BPL Ltd. will tie up with either Bang & Olufsen of Denmark or Loewe
of Germany, leading European designer CTV lables, to roll out BPL
Digital in 29, 32 and 34-inch screen sizes.
- BPL Mobile has launched `Mumbai on Mobile', an information service
that offers subscribers with the latest happenings in the city.
- BPL Mobile Roamfree, the first roaming service to be launched in
Kerala, will be available in Muscat, making it the seventh network to
- BPL Mobile, one of the two cellular phone service providers in Tamil
Nadu has tied up with ICICI Bank to enable its subscribers to access
their ICICI Bank account through its `MobileInternet' service.
- BPL Innovision group had entered into an agreement with more than 300
cable TV operators of Thrissur to form a joint venture company.
- BPL has launched a high-end audio entertainment brand called Pro-Fx
with the technology from Denon of Japan, world leaders in high-end
- BPL Ltd. has decided to rename one of its group companies, BPL Sanyo
Technologies Ltd., as BST Ltd.
- BPL has tied up with Denon of Japan who are world leaders in high-end
digital audito for PRO FX, an entertainment brand promoted by BPL.
- The Company has issued and allotted 4,000,000 Cumulative Redeemable
Preference Shares of Rs. 100/- each, to certain Institutions/Bank on a
private placement basis, consequent to which, the Preference Share
Capital of the Company has increased to Rs. 90 crores from Rs. 50
- bplnet.com, the Internet company of the Nambiars-promoted BPL group,
launched its Internet access services in Delhi and said that it will
roll out its access services in four more cities in the first phase of
- BPL Ltd is investing over Rs 10 to promote and build its new European
colour television brand Evelux.
- BPL Mobile has bagged the gold medal for corporate image at the
annual International Advertising Festival of Montreux, one of the
leading advertising festivals of Europe, held in Switzerland.
- The Company has informed that, BPL PTI Ltd. has become a subsidiary
of the company effective from 16th August, consequent to the transfer
of 2,00,00,000 No. of equity shares of Rs. 10 each.
- BPL Mobile launched India's first MobileInternet using General Packet
Radio Service technology.
- BPL has introduced a high end audio entertainment brand, " PRO FX".
- BPL Telecom Ltd, the networking and information technology arm of BPL
Ltd, has deployed earth stations for digital video broadcast using the
4:2:2 compression technique.
- BPL Telecom Ltd., the information technology and networking arm of
BPL Ltd., has commissioned 19 `C' category Internet nodes spread in all
district headquarters in Andhra Pradesh in a record of 20 days.
-Launches an `e' initiative with a view to convert itself into an extended enterprise.
-GovernmentÂs announcement to award licences for the fourth cellular operator,
- BPL Mobile has introduced MobileSelect, an innovative product for the
premium user segment.
- BPL has entered into a lease arrangement with Konkan Railway
Corporation Ltd. for two pairs of optical fibre cables for the proposed
backbone in the south-western region.
- BPL Ltd has allotted secured redeemable NCDs of Rs 1 crore have been
allotted to various banks/financial institutions on private placement
- The BPL Group will merge to create the biggest cellular company in
the country before the end of the current calendar year. Sources said
that leading accountancy and consultancy firm Arthur Andersen is
undertaking a valuation of all the cellular circles of BPL to
facilitate the big bang merger.
- BPL chairman and managing director Ajit G Nambiar said expansion in
the global market through acquisition of manufacturing units and even a
foreign brand will be its key strategy to beat the economic recession.
- In a crucial move, BPL is planning to have a 50:50 joint venture with
its technical collaborator Sanyo for its home appliances business. The
$20-billion Japanese major will now become a management partner
--BPL-Batata combine plans IPO by year-end. The new entity, to be
formed following the merger of BPL and the Tatas-Birla-AT&T, is likely
to go public by the year-end.They are contemplating an IPO by
Christmas, which may be a combination of domestic and international
- BPL has tied up with Bangalore-based Forsee Multimedia and a New
Delhi-based company to develop touch screen kiosks
- The board of the BPL Ltd has cleared the organisation wide
restructuring, which includes divestment from group companies' equity,
financial reengineering and rightsizing the organisation.
- BPL Communications has finally pulled out of the consortium
comprising Sterling Infotech, Tycom and Century Tel bidding for VSNL
-Seeked help of Ambit Finance Ltd as its exclusive strategic and financial adviser for its restructuring
-BPL home appliances division has launched innovative Direct Cool Fridges catering to the mass market DC segment with the lauch of its new models.
-BPL released its new pretty roaming products in the market.
-BPL Telecom and Ericsson has joined hands together to distribute its range of enterprise products in India.
- BPL-Sanyo's proposed 50:50 tie up in the home appliances business seems to be uncertain with Sanyo's expecting control stake in the tie up
- Deepak Varma has been made the president and chief executive officer (CEO) of BPL Mobile communications' Mumbai operations.
-The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed a special leave petition (SLP) filed by the Mauritius-based CDC Financial Services one of the investors in BPL Communications.
-Telecom software company Subex Systems Ltd has entered a contract with BPL Mobile to deploy its fraud management system, Ranger.
-BPL Ltd has launched CARDIART 6208 multi channel thermal array recorder, Nebulisers that cater to asthmatic patients at clinics, hospitals and especially for home use.
-BPL Ltd has developed a new sub-branding and market segmentation strategy.
-BPL Mobile has tied up with Indiatimes, the Times of India group.
-Launches its mega consumer promotion to leverage the expected World Cup Football sales upswing. The promotion branded 'BPL Colours of Brazil Shootout, is aimed at creating excitement around BPL Colour Televisions, encashing on the World Cup Football fever.
-BPL Mobile has launched new services with Music Call, Movie Call and miNews.
-BPL Mobile and ICICI Bank have engaged and tied up to enable to recharge of BPL's prepaid cellular service ability (branded `mots') at any of the bank's 1000 plus ATMs across the nation.
-BPL Mobile has launched,ÂFollow MeÂ service that enables all pre-paid users partial roaming facilities.
-The BPL has made sales of 3.38 lakh units of colour televisions in the first four months of calendar 2002.
-Mr. Viswanath Nambiar has been co-opted as an Additional Director
-The BPL Mobile and Citibank have joined hands to launch real-time mobile commerce application - electronic recharges for BPL Mobile Mots (pre-paid) subscribers.
-Bharti Cellular launched its low-tariff Airtel mobile services in the city, the rivals BPL Mobile and Orange had to cut their rates
- Idea Cellular has tied up with Hutch and BPL which will offer reduced roaming airtime rates.
- BPL Mobile and Navinmail jointly introduced two new products using the voice messaging platform-miVoice and MAPS (mobile answer phone service)-on 'Mots', the pre-paid card service of BPL Mobile.
-BPL Mobile has launched the latest mobile messaging technology, multimedia messaging service (MMS) in Mumbai.
-Introduces Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) in Mumbai city
- BPL Mobile has launched new airtime rates for its pre-paid service both for Mots and Mots Roamfree.
-Mr. V A Raghu appointed as nominee Director w.e.f. September 30, 2002.
- BPL Mobile and TeliVoice, a Sabeer Bhatia promoted company, have globally introduced the Mobile Answer Phone Services (MAPS) for MOTS (mobile on the spot) subscribers of BPL.
-Proposed merger of Idea Cellular with BPL Mobile falls through
-The properties of the BPL group promoters TPG Nambiar and his son Ajit Nambiar have been attached through a conditional interim order passed by the city civil judge, Bangalore
-Mr M Sasi has been appointed as Director (Finance & Corporate Planning) of the company (without any remuneration) for a period of two years, with immediate effect.
-Unveiled laptops under the BPL brand and is likely to grow by 50 per cent this year.
-Unit Trust of India, has informed them of the sale of 5,87,220 shares of BPL Ltd. in the secondary market (aggregate sale from February 03, 2003 to September 16, 2003) and hence the current total holding is 7.69% of the paid up capital of the company carrying voting rights.
-Mr. Sundararaman appointed as head-operations of its automation division
-BPL has launched its range of color TV - i-Sort.
-BPL and Voltas - have bagged the OEM deals from the $8.72 billion Chinese consumer appliance major - Haier.
-For starters, the company's old-timer and CEO KS Jayanth Kumar has stepped down from full time service effective December 31, 2003.
ICICI Bank Limited has withdrawn the nomination of Mr. P H Ravikumar from the Board of the Company and has nominated Mr. M Sudhendranath, in his place. b) Mr. K S Jayanth Kumar has resigned as the Director & Chief Executive Officer of the Company.
BPL Limited has bagged the original equipment manufacturing deals from the Chinese white goods maker, Haier.
-BPL tie up with Sanyo expires
-Delist equity share from the Delhi Stock Exchange Association Ltd (DSE) w.e.f. March 31, 2005.
-BPL, along with its associates, enters into MOU with Eveready Industries
-BPL ties up with Sanyo for CTV venture
-BPL Healthcare has partnered with Welch Allyn, a leading global manufacturer of frontline medical products and solutions,to provide easy access for medical practitioners, hospitals and the public health system at large in India to state-of-the-art products, world class service and localized training programs.
-The Company has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Government of Chhattisgarh for commissioning a 1x300 MW coal based thermal power station in the State of Chhattisgarh.
-Bpl Limited has informed that Mr. Manoj U. Nambiar has been appointed as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Company.
-Mr. Srinath Maniyal M has been appointed as the Company Secretary and Compliance Officer of the Company.
-Payment of Dividend of Rs. 0.001 per share on 1,69,58,682 Preference Shares of Rs. 100/- each.
-Payment of dividend of 0.001% ( i.e. Rs. 0.001 per share) on Preference Shares of Rs. 100/- each.