1950 - The Company was Incorporated as a private limited company on 25th
January, at Bangalore. The Company was the first public sector
undertaking started in 1948 by the Government of India after
independence. The Company became a public limited company on
23rd November, 1985. The main objects is to design, manufacture
and supply telecommunication equipment such as telephone
instruments, electromechanical exchanges, transmission systems,
electronic exchanges and ground stations for satellite
- The Company has its own R&D division to play its role in
technology innovation, upgradation and adaptation. Advanced
facilities and infrastructure were established for research and
- It was proposed to be met by floating bonds to the public, funds
in the form of budgetary support from Government and internal
1979 - 90,064 shares allotted without payment in cash. Out of the total
shares issued, 31,250 shares were held by Karnataka Government
and 14,68,750 shares were held by Govt. of India.
1982 - 15,00,000 shares issued to Government of India.
1983 - 17,00,000 shares issued to Government of India.
1984 - 23,00,000 shares issued to Government of India.
1985 - 18,00,000 shares issued to Government of India.
1987 - Under the `B' Series issue 11,89,966-10% tax free non-convertible
bonds of Rs 1000 each and 10,60,034-14% non-convertible bonds of
Rs 1000 each were issued for public subscription. 7,93,230-13%
non-convertible bonds of Rs 100 each were privately placed bonds
with 10% interest rates (tax free) are redeemable after 10 years
while the other bonds are redeemable after 7 years from the date
1992 - The OCB 283/CSN project in technical collaboration with M/s.
ALCATEL was taken up at Mankapur, Bangalore and Palakhad units.
- The Company has a production capacity to manufacture exchange
equipments based on C-DOT technology totally 750 KL at E.C. Plant
Rae Bareli and at Bangalore.
- The Micro Electronics Division has the facilities to manufacture
Think film, thick film, VLSI packaging, VLSI processing, ASK
Testing and Mask Centre (E-Beam).
1993 - The Company proposed to enter into a joint venture with NKT of
Denmark for optical fibre using Synchromous Digital Hierarchy
(SDH) equipment with Korea Telecom and Korea Mobile Telecom for
Radio Paging Services.
1994 - A joint venture Company called FIBCOM India Ltd. was set up with
M/s. NKT Electronik A/S. Denmark and M/s. Industrialization Fund
for developing countries.
- 9,81,310 No. of equity shares offered for sale were taken up at a
price of Rs 59 per share by the employees of ITI.
1995 - ITI designed and developed PABX Exchange (MPABX-1000) at Mankapur
plant, for provision upto 850 lines for operation. One Exchange
was installed at Dehradun and others were under installation.
- The Army Static Switched Communication Network (ASCON) was
designed, developed, manufactured and installed by the Company.
- New products inducted during the year are Digital Power Gain
System (EK ANCH), 11 GHZ Digital Microwave Equipment, Display
Telephone Instrument & HDSL.
- The Company proposed to offer new products viz. Transmission and
subscriber end equipments, wireless loop, digital loom carrier
besides HDSL equipment.
- ITI Equatorial Satcom Ltd. changed its name to M/s. India Satcom
1996 - The Company entered into VSAT/MRTS Services. Also OCB 283/CSN
projects were being implemented in the three manufacturing plants
of ITI viz. Palakhad, Bangalore and Mankapur.
- The Company undertook to install three manufacturing plants viz.
Palakhad (1000 KLOCB 283), Bangalore (1500 KL CSN) and Mankapur
(500 KL CSN).
- The 16 KL main exchange was installed at Indranagar and 14 KL RSU
installed at various location viz., whitefield Ulsoor, K.R. Puram
etc. of Bangalore.
- New products such as ARMY VSAT, 8 Mb OLTE, Transportable
Satellite Terminals were inducted and new technology for 6 GHZ
M/W equipment was introduced. The Mankapur plant developed a
New Power for recovery of core for rejected transformers.
- The Company proposed to offer new products covering switching
access products, transmission and subscribed end equipments.
Some of the products to be introduced include wireless local
loop, digital loop carrier besides fairgain and HDSL equipment.
- ITI Equatorial Satcom Ltd. and Singapore Styled ITI Communication
Pvt Ltd. are joint ventures of the Company.
1997 - During March 15% Government Guaranteed Redeemable Bonds `C'
Series of Rs 1,00,000 each issued aggregating Rs 2,785 lakhs.
These are redeemable at par in March 2002.
- The Indian Telephone Industries (ITI), Bangalore plant, which
has been going through a rough patch for some time, finally
seems to be coming out of the woods, as they bagged the
International Quality Management System Standard ISO-9002 for
its new products division.
- Qualcomm Inc, the pioneer of CDMA (code division multiple
access) technology for wireless communications, has entered
into a strategic alliance with Indian Telephone Industries
- ITI Limited has entered into a 76.24 joint venture with the
US-based company Celcore. ITI under this marketing joint
venture will produce cellular equipment for niche market.
- Celcore Inc of the US and ITI Ltd. have signed a joint venture
agreement to market, sell and service global system for mobile
(GSM) cellular systems.
- Indian Telephones Industries (ITI) Ltd. has entered the public
mobile radio trunked service area - a two-way wireless
communication system - with its formal lunching at Madurai in
Tamil Nadu. ITI became the first public sector company to
introduce such high-tech facility.
- Indian Telephone Industries Ltd (ITI), a public sector unit, is
teaming up with Telecom Consultancy of India Ltd (TCIL) to
undertake communication projects on turnkey basis and provide
consultancy services to the railway, powerful oil sectors.
- The public sector Indian Telephone Industries Ltd. (ITI) will
utilise prime land in its possession to setup technology parks.
- Three public sector undertakings (PSUs) - Mahanagar Telephone
Nigam Ltd (MTNL), Indian Telephone Industries (ITI) and Telecom
Consultants India Ltd - are likely to join hands to form a
joint venture company to directly compete with private
operators in the field of basic and cellular services.
- ITI proposes to set up two wholly owned subsidiaries for taking
up exclusive operation of VSAT and MRTS.
- The company was set to sign an agreement with a foreign firm for
a joint venture, on the lines of the Singapore Technology Park.
1998 - ITI Ltd, the country's largest telecom company has won IMM
award for excellence as "Marketing Company in the Organised
Sector" for the year 1998. The award comprising of gold, silver
trophy and a certificate of merit.
- ITI Limited will soon introduce the automated system technology
for payment of bills and for coin change machines.
- Indian Telephone Industries (ITI) and its joint venture concern
are set to bag a substantial portion of the Rs. 118-crore
tender for synchronous digital hierarchy (SDH) equipment which
was opened recently by the Department of Telecommunications
- ITI Ltd, has set up very large scale integration (VLSI)
fabrication unit to manufacture highly critical integrated
circuits (chips) with an investment of Rs 153 crore, at its
1999 - CMC Limited signed an agreement with ITI Limited to implement
an Enterprise Resource Planning software at the companies
facility at Mankapur in Gonda district.
- ITI Ltd. has entered into a fresh agreement with Alcatel and has
renewed its tow decade old agreement to further strengthen
- The Indian telecom giant ITI Ltd, the first public sector unit to
be set up after Independence, has charted out a strategy to
portray itself as a dynamic organisation concentrating more on
marketing activities along with a special focus on the export
- ITI Ltd. is likely to be shortlisted for setting up the earth
station at the proposed software technology park (STP) in Hubli.
- The Company signed an MoU with the DoT for its turnover of Rs
2,000 crore for the year 2000-2001.
2000 - The Company has commissioned the state-of-the-art V-SAT network
designed and produced by it for the army as a move towards
modernising the communication network of the defense force.
- Bangalore-based telecom major ITI has been awarded the Prime
Minister's MOU award for excellence for the year 1998-99.
- Compaq India and ITI Ltd have signed an MoU to leverage each
others expertise to deliver soluions for businesses where there
is an increasing convergence of telecom and IT.
- Ms Lakshmi G Menon has taken over as the chairman and managing director
of ITI, India's largest telecom equipment manufacturer.
2001 - Mr Vijoy Kumar, Deputy Director General, has been appointed as part-time official
director of the company effective from 2nd March in place of Mr Rajeev Agrawal.
U D Paradkar retires from Directorship of ITI Ltd
- ITI Ltd has informed BSE that Shri U.D.Paradkar, Director - Bangalore Plant of the Company has retired from the services of the Company on December 31, 2001.
-Mr U D Paradkar retires from the services of the company as the Director.
-Board approves the proposal for amendment to MOA of ITI Ltd for enhancement of Authorised share capital from Rs.100crs to Rs.250 crs by issue of preference shares under private placement.
-Ties up with Texas to develop IP Phones.
-Mr Pankaj Agarwal appointed as the Director on the Board of the company.
-Mr S K Manocha appointed as the Chairman and MD of ITI Ltd.
-Push button Phone of ITI receives Approved Inspection Scheme (AIS) certification.
-Comes out with Carrier class MPLS and MPLS-VPN (Multiprotocol Lable switching based virtual private network) solution to end customers.
-Appoints Mr J K Verma as the Director on the Board.
-Designs and Develops the first ever indigenious Web-enabled Smart Connect Call Centre.
-Forays into the International Long Distance segment.
-Signs MoU with Shenzhen-Zhongxing Telecom Ltd for setting up infrastructure for Code Division Multiple Access network in India.
-Shri Vijoy Kumar takes charge as the Chairman and MD of the company.
-Unveils India's first Security Software Product E-Seal (Electronic Secure Encryption authentication Lock).
-Shri Y K Pandey assumes charge as the CMD of the company from May 6th.
-MTNL,BSNL , ITI Ltd and TCIL drop their plan to provide International Long Distance Services
-Mr S K Manocha relinquishes the Directorship on the Board of ITI.
-Declares itself sick under the Sick Industrial Companies Act following the erosion of more than 50% of its networth.
-Fibcom India Ltd, a joint venture between ITI and Tellabs receives the award for Excellence in Professional Electronics for 2001-2002 from Ministry of Communication and Information Technology.
-Emerges as the top telecom turnkey services company in the country.
-Board approves for the issue of L series of bonds of Rs.940 million on private placement basis with government of India Guarantee.
-ITI Ltd. declared itself sick under the provisions of Sick Industrial Companies (Special Provisions) Act, 1985, following the erosion of more than 50% of its networth.
-ITI forges alliance with Chinese firm to manufacture CDMA handsets
-ITI enquires on MTNL pact with Huawei
-ITI Ltd, Palakkad, gets Cochin Shipyard Rolling Trophy for industrial safety instituted by National Safety Council, Kerala Chapter, in the engineering industries sector
-Signs MoU with Alcatel aimed at establishing long-term cooperation for digital subscriber line (DSL) deployment in the Indian market
- Indian Telephone Industries ties up with France based Alcatel for supply and installation of Bharat Sanchar Nigam's (BSNL) GSM network in the western region of India.
-Tejas Networks India Ltd, a telecom products company, has signed a five-year technical collaboration agreement with ITI Ltd for its TJ100 series of next-generation Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH) products
-Registered Office of the Company has been shifted from 45/1, Magrath Road, Bangalore - 560025 To ITI Bhavan, Doorvaninagar, Bangalore - 560016.
-ITI Ltd - Wins Top Telecom Turnkey Company Award
-ITI Ltd has appointed Shri Ravi Agarwal, GM-GSM, of the Company as Director-Production on the Board of the Company with effect from October 31, 2006.
-Iti Ltd. has informed that Shri K. T. Mayuranathan, has assumed charge to the post of Company Secretary of the Company with effect from November 20, 2006, in place of Shri K. Ramaswamy, Company Secretary, who had earlier resigned.
-ITI Ltd has informed that Shri. Y K Pandey, Chairman & Managing Director of the Company on Earned Leave from November 01, 2006 to January 31, 2007 (both days inclusive). Shri. Pritam Singh, Director-Marketing, has been appointed as In-Charge Chairman and Managing Director, as conveyed vide DOT letter dated November 03, 2006.
-ITI Ltd. has informed that Shri R. Bandyopadhyay, Addl Secretary (T), Department of Telecommunication, New Delhi and Shri P.K. Tiwari, Director (R&P), Department of Telecommunication, New Delhi have been appointed as part-time Official Directors on the Board of ITI Limited, in place of Shri Pankaj Agrawala, JS, DIT and Shri N. P. Singh, DDG (IP) , DoT respectively.
-ITI Ltd has informed that in pursuance of DoT letter dated August 23, 2007, Shri. S K Chatterjee, Director-HR, of the Company has assumed the charge as Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) on the Board of the Company w.e.f. August 24, 2007 (Forenoon).
-ITI Ltd has informed that Shri. B P Gupta has been appointed as Director-Finance of the Company by the Government of India vide Ministry of Communications and IT letter dated December 31, 2007.
-ITI Ltd. has informed that "Shri K.K. Khurana has been appointed as Director-HR of ITI Limited by the Government of India vide Ministry of Communications and IT letter No. 4-7/2007-Fac-II dated 04.04.2008. He has assumed office on 04.04.2008."
-ITI Ltd has informed that BIFR vide letter dated March 25, 2008 appointed Shri. C K Koshy as Special Director on the Board of Director of the Company u/s 16(4) of the Sick Industrial Companies (Special Provisions) Act, 1985.
- "ITI notches-up highest turn over in seven years".
- K. L. Dhingra has been appointed as Chairman and Managing Director.
- Shri Ravi Khandelwal has been appointed as Director-Finance of ITI Limited.
- Shri. N K Srivastava, Sr. DDG (TEC). Department of Telecommunications as Government Director on the Board of the Company.
- Lt. Gen S. P. Kochhar, AVSM, SM, VSM, Signal Officer in-charge, Ministry of Defence and Shri N. K. Joshi, DDG (SU), Department of Telecommunication, New Delhi have been appointed as Government Directors on the Board of ITI Limited.
-ITI Bags National Safety Awards from Ministry of Labour & Employment.
-ITI signs MoU with TSSC for special focus on Skill Development in the Telecom Industry.
-ITI signs MoU with Department of Telecommunications.
-ITI bags largest Non-RQ order for NFS.
-An MoU was signed between M/s. ITI and M/s. HAL for exploring mutually beneficial business opportunities in the manufacturing and service domains.
-ITI Limited celebrated Vigilance Awareness Week
- ITI Limited gets ÂCertificate of Excellence Award
-ITI signed MoU with HAL