1948 - The Company was incorporated on 23rd August, at Calcutta. The
Company manufacture and sell pharmaceuticals, super phosphate,
fertiliser mixtures, pesticides, hydrosulphite of soda, electric
fans, petrol fans, petrol engines and garments and also to trade
in fertiliser, cotton, tanning materials, piece goods, textiles,
crushed bones and marine products. The Company had distribution
arrangements for single and compound fertilisers, electric fans,
stationary and portable machine tools, electrical appliances,
power sprayers, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and household
products. Rallis Brothers Ltd., was incorporated in West Bengal
to carry on business in India.
- 75,000 Pref. Shares and 92,095 No. of equity shares issued to
Ralli Bros. Ltd. 405 No. of equity shares to director and
signatories to Memorandum of Association. 1,32,500 No. of equity
shares issued to Ralli Bros. Ltd. on consideration of assets
taken over from them.
1951 - 65,000 Pref. and 1,15,000 No. of equity shares (prem. Rs 15 per
share) offered for sale by Ralli Brothers, Ltd., to the Indian
1958 - The Company acquired the enterprise of Teddington Chemical
Factory (P) Ltd.
1961 - Reddington Chemicals was merged with the Company.
1971 - Effective from 1st January, the Company negotiated the
acquisition of assets of James & Co., a proprietary concern
engaged in the canning of food under trade name SIL.
1972 - Tata Fison Industries, Ltd., was amalgamated with the Company
with effect from 1st September. The shareholders of Tata Fison
were allotted 3 fully paid-up Equity shares against 4 fully
paid-up Equity shares, and 3 fully paid-up Equity shares plus 3
fractional certificates representing one tenth Equity shares
against eight, Rs 55 paid-up Equity shares. The Company's
subsidiary Rallifan, Ltd. was merged with it with effect from
31st August, 1966.
1973 - Since September, the Company became a subsidiary of Rallis India,
Ltd. This was amalgamated with the Company effective from 30th
- 93,000 No. of equity shares issued as fully paid-up to
shareholders of Tata Fison Industries, Ltd. pursuant to the
Scheme of Amalgamation.
1976 - 63,600 Right Equity shares issued in prop. 1:3 at a premium of
Rs 25 per share on 5th January. 31 Right Equity shares
forfeited. 1,14,470 Bonus Equity shares issued in prop. 3:10.
1978 - The subsidiary Ralli Chemicals Ltd. was merged with the Company
with effect from 1st September.
1981 - With effect from 1st September, Whilfens (India), Ltd. was
amalgamated with the Company. The shareholders of Whilfens were
allotted 18,473 No. of equity shares of the Company in the
proportion of 1 Ralli share of Rs 100 each for every 6 No. of
equity shares of Rs 10 each held in Whilfen.
- 33,331 shares allotted to Financial Institutions as part
conversion of their loans. (8,333 to ICICI, 8,333 to UTI and
8,332 to GIC and its subsidiaries) and 18,473 shares allotted to
erstwhile shareholders of Whilfens (India) Ltd., which was
amalgamated with the Company.
1982 - The Company acquired 2,10,286 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each
of Protein Products of India, Ltd. which was deemed a Government
Company pursuant to Section 619 B of the Company's Act. The
Company along with its subsidiaries - W.T. Surin & Co., Ltd.,
Ralli Machines Ltd., and Ralliwolf, Ltd. held 60% of the equity
capital of Protein Products of India, Ltd (PPI). Hence, PPI
became a subsidiary of the company.
1983 - Protein Products of India, Ltd., which manufactures gelatine,
ossein and di-calcium phosphate, was merged with the Company with
effect from 1st September. The merger became effective on 17th
1985 - 16,441 No. of equity shares allotted without payment in cash to
the Protein Products of India, Ltd. on its merger with the
1986 - The Plants for the manufacture of two new pesticides were
commissioned at Ankleshwar.
- The Company issued 3,95,000 - 13.5% secured redeemable partly
convertible debentures of Rs 500 each during the year. Out of
the total issue, 18,811 debentures were offered to the employees
of the Company and the balance of 3,76,189 debentures were
offered to the existing equity shareholders in the proportion of
2 debentures to 3 equity shares held. Out of the employees'
quota, only 11,834 debentures were taken up while the offer for
shareholders was over-subscribed. Thus, a total of 3,88,023
debentures were allotted on 1st May, 1987.
- Pursuant to the terms of the issue of debentures, the Convertible
portion of Rs 250 out of each debenture was compulsorily and
automatically converted into 10 equity shares of Rs 10 each of
the Company at a premium of Rs 15 per share effective from 1st
- The Non-convertible portion of Rs 250 out of each debenture
bearing interest at 13.5% per annum would be redeemed on maturity
on 30th April, 1997.
- The Company cancelled its 75,000 - 6% preference shares of Rs 100
each on 1st June, and in lieu thereof allotted 75,000 - 15%
non-convertible debentures of Rs 100 each to the erstwhile
1987 - A modern bulk drug plant was commissioned at Ankleshwar to
manufacture new drugs.
- Plans for the manufacture of three new pesticides were
commissioned and implementation of a fully export-oriented basic
chemical manufacturing facility was in progress.
- Ralli Machines Ltd. (RML), a subsidiary of the Company was
amalgamated with the Company with effect from 1st June.
1988 - The Agrochemicals division launched four new products during the
period. The Research and Development centre of the agrochemicals
division set up a comprehensive toxicological laboratory at
1989 - The agro chemicals division completed and commissioned new
facilities for the manufacture of Acephate and Cypermethrin. New
facilities were set up for export oriented fungicides and
achieved a two-fold expansion of productions of Captafol. In
addition, a new facility for an intermediate required in the
production of Fenvalerate was set up and commissioned.
- 7,627 No. of Equity shares allotted without payment in cash to
shareholders of Rallis Machines, Ltd., on its merger.
1990 - With considerable expertise gained in the designing and
commissioning of chemical plants, the agro chemicals division
entered the field of project exports.
- At the meeting held on 21st November, the Company decided to
dispose of the Engineering undertakings as well as the Company's
direct and indirect shareholders in the Engineering subsidiaries
Ralli Wolf Ltd. and the Indian Standard Metal Co., Ltd.
1991 - The Agro chemicals unit signed a turnkey contract with the
National Petrochemical Company of Iran for a 2500 TPA/500 TPA.
- A new facility for parenterals was put into operation at
Aurangabad. The pharmaceutical division diversified into
Ayurvedic products range.
- In term of the orders of the High Courts at Mumbai and Ahmedabad
dated 4.5.1991 and 13.5.1991, Accumax Ltd. was merged with the
Company on 26.6.1991 with retrospective effect from 1.1.1988.
As per the terms of the merger, 60,800 shares of Rs 10 each were
allotted to the shareholders of Accumax, Ltd.
- Ahura Consultants & Investments Ltd. (Ahura), a subsidiary of
the Company was amalgamated with the Company with effect from 1st
- The Company offered 11,91,337 - 12.5% secured partly convertible
debentures of Rs 160 each on Rights basis in the proportion 1
debentures: 8 equity shares held (All were taken up).
- Another 59,570-12.5% debentures were issued to the employees on
an equitable basis (only 5,211 debentures taken up). The
unsubscribed portion of 54,359 debentures was allowed to lapse.
Rs 80 of the face value of each debenture was to be converted
into 2 equity shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 30 per
share on the expiry of 6 months from the date of allotment of
debentures. Remaining Rs 80 of the face value of each debenture
was to be redeemed at par on the expiry of 10 years from the date
of allotment of debentures.
- 23,93,096 shares allotted (prem. Rs 30 per share) on part
conversion 12.5% partly convertible debentures on 19.2.1992.
1992 - Tata Tea Ltd. (TTL) proposed to make an offer to the resident
Indian equity shareholders of the Company to acquire upto 24.99%
of the existing equity share capital of the Company.
1993 - The Company proposed to enter real estate development business.
1995 - The agrochemicals division performed well and the unit introduced
a range of other agro products as an input-supply agency. The
performance of pharmaceutical division affected due to
non-availability of Dextran products. Production of fine
chemicals was affected due to non-availability of raw materials
such as hydrochlorine and, bones etc.
1996 - The pharmaceutical division registered an impressive performance
and new products were introduced.
- 350,00,000 pref. shares allotted as private placement basis and
they would be redeemed at the end of 3 years from the date of
allotment i.e. on 28.2.2000 & 30.3.2000 with pvt. & call option
at the end of 2 years.
1997 - Three new high margin products introduced during the year
contributed to the success of the division. Gelatine business
was affected. The leather chemicals business introduced a new
range of finishing chemicals in collaboration with a U.K.
Company. Further expansion was planned in collaboration with a
Dutch company and with their support it was proposed to introduce
a range of high quality fat liquors.
- British drug group Phytopharm Plc said on November 3 it had
signed a long-term agreement with Rallis India Ltd to develop
products based on medicinal plant extracts.
- Rallis is part of India's Tata Group, the country's largest
- Rallis is the largest agro-business company and the second
largest seed producer in India.
- Rallies has successfully introduced quality hybrid seeds in
collaboration with Cargill Seeds of USA and Bejo Zaden, Holland.
1998 - Rallis India has forged a marketing alliance with the world's
largest producer of fertilisers, Norsk Hydro of Netherlands, to
market speciality fertilisers.
- ICRA has assigned an `A1+' rating to the Rs.10 crore commercial
paper programme of Rallis (India) Ltd (RIL). The rating
indicates highest safety.
- The company has recently entered into separate licencing
agreements with Switzerland-based pharma company Geisltch, and
Netherlands-based Euro Drug.
- The company has proposed to convert one of its existing pesticide
units for producing special grade polymers for fabricating
interiors of aircraft.
- Rallis has also become the first Indian company to isolate a
gene construct which marks the company's entry into the realms
of genetically-engineered plants.
- Rallis has also recently become only the second producer in the
world, and the first in India, of pendimethylene, the world's
number two herbicide.
- The company has developed a 600 acre farm near Nashik in
Maharashtra with technical collaboration from Mitsubishi
Corporation of Japan.
1999 - The company has been working closely with sericulturists and
farmers in an attempt to develop the venture. The company is
also introducing international irrigation and sericulture
techniques to improve yields, and productivity.
- Tata group agrochemical major Rallis India has set up a new
company called Rallis Farm Management to provide advisory and
technical services in the agri sector.
- Rallis had recently set up a new company -- called Rallis Farm
Management -- to provide advisory and technical services in the
- Rallis India Ltd. and American multinational Monsanto have signed
a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to jointly develop and launch
rural-development initiatives in India.
- Rallis India has entered into a pact with the $4.5bn FMC Ltd,
the fifth-largest agrochemical producer in the world, under
which it will formulate some of FMC's products in India. The
agreement, signed on August 6, extends a relationship which
Rallis already has with FMC for a few other products.
- The rating agency, Icra, has downgraded the rating assigned to
the Rs 5 crore non-convertible debenture (NCD) programme of
Mold-Tek Plastics Ltd (MPL) from `LA+' to `LBBB+' indicating
- Tata Metaliks managing director Rajeev Dubey will take charge as
chief executive officer of the Rs 1,256-crore Rallis India.
- Tata group company, has decided to pull out of its agrochemical joint venture with FMC Corporation citing restructuring within the overall Tata group and recent changes in the global agrochemical market.
-Rallis India, country's largest agrichemicals company, has tied up with the UK-based fertiliser giant Borax Europe to market Solubor in India in line with the company's strategy to market foreign companies products.
-Launching an interactive Website called rallikisan.com
-Sanat Products Limited (SPL) in which Dabur India holds 30 per cent equity stake has signed a marketing tie-up with the Tata group company Rallis India for distribution of its herbal OTC (over-the-counter) products in Africa and Sri Lanka.
-Obtained a sanction for a Rs 50-crore term loan from ICICI Ltd
-Mr. R Gopalakrishnan, a director of Rallis India, has been appointed its vice-chairman. Gopalakrishnan is an executive director of Tata Sons and is a member of the group executive office of the Tata Group.
-Sells its pharmaceutical business to Shreya Impex, part of Moscow-based Shreya Corporation, for Rs 49 crore.
-Approves the merger of its wholly-owned subsidiaries with the company. The subsidiaries are Ralchem Ltd, Rallis Finance & Investments Co Ltd,
-Kicks off a downsizing exercise for reducing employees at the managerial level. Around 200-odd managers opt for an early separation scheme started by the company in April 15, 2001
-Fire breaks out at the Rallis Ankleshwar Plant Unit II. Seven workers sustain burn injuries. Leakage of inflammable gas from a fractioning column of a unit manufacturing intermediate chemical CMAC used for manufacture of Cypermethrin, appeared to be the cause of the fire.
-Launched its Web site, called www.rallis.co.in
-Sells its surplus land at Andheri, a Mumbai suburb, to Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) for Rs 133 crore
-Approves merger of its wholly owned subsidiaries i.e. Rallis Finance and Investments Ltd., Rallis Farm Management Services Ltd., Rallis Hybrid Seeds Ltd., Ralchem Ltd. and Sankhya Garments Ltd with the company.
-Closes down four of its manufacturing units.The shut down four companies are Siris India's unit (a loss making subsidiary of Rallis India), Ralchem Ltd's second unit in Ankleshwar, a tanning and an agrochemicals unit at Ankleshwar.
-Enters into a new contract farming agreement with State Bank of India, ending its earlier agreement with ICICI Bank
-Mr. Rajeev Dubey, CEO & Executive Director of the company, redesignated as Managing Director w.e.f.July 29, 2002
-Tata Chemicals Ltd. issues termination notice to the company in respect of the marketing arrangement for urea
-Shareholders approve the Scheme of Amalgamation of its 5 subsidiaries (Rallis Finance and Investments Company Ltd., Rallis Farm Management Services Ltd, Rallis Hybrid Seeds Ltd, Ralchem Ltd and Sankhya Garments Ltd with the Company)
- Forges an alliance with Kureha Chemical Ltd, a leading Japanese company, for Metconazole fungicide plant
-Approves the merger of Siris India Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of the company, with Rallis India Ltd.
-Mr. Rajeev Dubey resigs as Managing Director
-Dr. Venkatrao Sohoni appointed as Managing Director of the company w.e.f. August 11, 2003.
-Offers VRS to its staff
-Mrs. Shirin V. Balsara has resigned as Director (Legal) & Company Secretary of the Company w.e.f. September 20, 2003
-Aproves the sale of Rallis House to Tata Consultancy Services Ltd for a total consideration of Rs 560 million
-The Lok Prakashan Ltd. acquires 6,68,396 equity shares (constituting 5.58% of the paid-up equity share capital of the Company)
-Registered office of the company changed from Ralli House, 21, D.S.Marg, Mumbai - 400 001 to 7th Floor, Apeejay House, 3, Dinshaw Vachha Road, Churchgate, Mumbai 400 020.
-Board of the company decides to issue, on a private placement basis, 9,00,00,000, 7.5 % Cumulative Redeemable Preference Shares of Rs 10/- each, aggregating to Rs 900 million. The said issue shall open from January 2, 2004 to January 31, 2004
-Rallis India sells gelatine biz to Sterling Biotech Ltd
-Rallis India inks pact with Dupont India Pvt Ltd on April 5, 2004, for insecticide marketing
-Rallis India Ltd has informed that the company and EI Dupont India Private Ltd on April 5, 2004 have entered into an agreement, whereby company will co-market Dupont's insecticide Indoxacarb and Dupont will co-market company's insecticide Acetamiprid.
- Rallis India enters into marketing alliances with global players like Syngenta, Bayer and Dupont
-Rallis India Ltd has appointed Mr. Veeramani Shankar as the Executive Director of the Company.
- Rallis India Ltd has informed that Dr. V S Sohoni has been appointed as Additional Director on the Board of the Company with effect from March 01, 2008.
- Rallis India Ltd has appointed Mr. R. Mukundan as Additional Director on the Board of the Company.
--Registered Office of the Company has been shifted to 156/157, 15th Floor, Nariman Bhavan, 227, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021
- Company has inaugurated a new Metconazole plant at its factory in Ankleshwar, Gujarat
- Rallis India Ltd Acquires Majority stake in Metahelix Life Sciences
- Rallis India - Board approves Bonus Issue
-Rallis India has given the Bonus in the Ratio of 1:2
- Rallis India crosses sales figure of Rs 1,000 crore For the year ended March 31, 2011
- Company has commenced commercial production at its new manufacturing facility at Dahej SEZ, Gujarat.
-Company has splits its Face value of Shares from Rs 10 to Re 1
- Rallis India Acquires 22.8% Stake in Zero Waste Agro Organics Private Limited
- Tata Quality Management Services awarded Company's Dahej unit under Promising Innovations Category for New Product Innovation
- The Company received National Energy Conservation Award from Mr. Pranab Mukerjee (President of India) for winning under Chemical sector
-The Company awarded as Winner of Golden Peacock Award for Eco-Innovation in Chemical Sector
- Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) awarded the Company as Product Innovator of the Year in Agro Sector
-The Company has recommended final dividend of Rs. 1.30 per share (130%) to the shareholders of the Company.
- Rallis India Ltd appointed Dr. Punita Kumar-Sinha as an Additional Non - Executive, Independent Director of the Company
- The Company has recommended final dividend of Rs. 1.40 per share (140%) to the shareholders of the Company.
- ICC awarded Certificate of Merit for Best Compliant Company for the Process Safety Code under Responsible Care
- Dahej unit awarded National Safety Award
- The Award was presented by HonÂble Union Minister for Labour & Employment Shri Narendra Singh Tomar at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi
-India's Most Trusted Brand Award, 2015 in Best Company category
-CII EXIM prize for Business Excellence
-Origin product has received Product Innovator of the Year in Agrochemicals Sector awarded by FICCI Chemicals & Petrochemicals Awards
-Rallis India gets approval for Rs 200 cr project in Gujarat.