|United Breweries (Holdings) Ltd (UBHL), headed by Dr. Vijay Mallya, is the result of demerger of brewing business from the erstwhile United Breweries Ltd to a separate company, United Breweries Limited (UBL). The demerger left the company with investments in the group companies and real estate business. The company`s principle activities are to develop, market and export alcoholic beverages, leather footwear, pharmaceutical products, agrochemicals and processed foods. In addition, the group provides engineering colleges, air transportation, agrochemicals etc. through its subsidiaries.
1915 - The Company was Incorported at Chennai. The Company runs a
brewery and has interest in pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and fruit
preservation through substantial holding in other companies. The
products manufactured are beer, stout brewer's yeast, etc.
1938 - Preference shares redeemed at Rs 105 each.
1958 - 8,000 No. of shares of Rs 25 each issued as bonus and the shares
of Rs 75 each and Rs 25 each consolidated into sha
1959 - In August, the Company offered for sale 20,000 equity shares of
Rs 10 each of McDowell & Co., at Rs 20 per share excluding the
dividend for the year ended 31st December, 1958.
- The following are the subsidiaries of the Company: (1) Blue
Mountain Food Products Ltd. (2) Cardboard Industries Ltd.
(3) VB Information & Consultancy Services Ltd. (4) MWP Ltd.
5) Mysore Wine Products Ltd. (6) Nepal Liquors Pvt. Ltd.
(7) Masoneilan (I) Ltd. (8) UB Petrochemicals Ltd. (9) UB
Breweries Ltd. (10) McDowell Krest Finance Ltd. (11) Shilton
Hotel Pvt. Ltd. (12) UB Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (13) U.B. Global
Corpn. Ltd. (14) UB Resorts Ltd. (15) UB Transit Systems Ltd.
(16) United Breweries (Holdings) Ltd. (17) Vitasta Investments
Ltd. (18) UB Investments Ltd.
- Shares sub-divided. Authorised capital increased. 40,000 bonus
equity shares issued in the proportion 1:2.
1960 - 80,000 right equity shares issued at par in the proportion 2:3.
1961 - 50,000 right equity shares issued at par in the proportion 1:4.
1963 - 250,000 bonus equity shares issued in the proportion 1:1.
1966 - 5,00,000 bonus equity shares issued in the proportion 1:1.
1975 - 20,00,000 bonus equity shares issued in the proportion 1:1.
1986 - 20,00,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1 and allotted on
- A programme of modernisation was taken in hand at the Bangalore
1987 - The Bangalore Brewery was closed for 40 days during July/August
1987 due to industrial unrest and the Hyderabad brewery was
closed for about 30 days following an order from the Andhra
Pradesh Pollution Control Board.
1988 - The Company entered into a memorandum of understanding with
M/s. Jenson and Nicholson of the U.K.
- The name of the Company was changed from United Breweries, Ltd.
to UB, Ltd.
1989 - As a measure of diversification, the Company proposed to take up
the manufacture of bulk drug, and pharmaceuticals on a priority
- Various balancing equipments were installed at the Bangalore unit
to bring about improvement in the quality of the products.
- The Company undertook steps to export software to USA and other
countries. Plans were also underway to establish a sophisticated
tele-communication network for data transmission to further
improve its Management Information Systems.
1990 - During August-September the Company offered 3,20,000-12.5%
secured convertible debentures of Rs 300 each on `Rights' basis
in the proportion 4:5. Another 16,000 debentures were issued to
the employees under the Employees' Stock Option Scheme. A
total of 3,71,363 debentures were allotted.
- Part-A of Rs 200, the face value of each debenture was converted
into 5 equity shares of Rs 10 ech at a premium of Rs 30 per share
on 23.4.1991. Accordingly, 18,56,815 equity shares were
allotted. Remaining Part-B of the phase value of debenture were
to be redeemed at par on the expiry of 8th year from the date of
1992 - With effect from 1st April, three wholly owned subsidiaries viz.
High Range Breweries Ltd., Kesarval Beverages Ltd. and Kalyani
Brewerie Ltd. were amalgamated with the Company. Consequent upon
the amalgamation, the shares held by the Company in the above
three subsidiary companies stood cancelled.
- Five more wholly owned subsidiaries viz., Golden Investments
Ltd., Eudeavour Investments Ltd., East Coast Investments Ltd.,
Consolidated Investments Ltd. and Enterprise Investments Ltd.
were also amalgamated with the Company with effect from 1st
- Three brewery companies viz., Punjab Breweries Ltd., Indo
Lowenbran Breweries Ltd. and Premier Breweries Ltd. were
amalgamated with the company. Consequent upon amalgamation, the
erstwhile shareholders of Punjab Breweries Ltd., and Indo
Lowenbran Breweries Ltd. were allotted 10,21,435 equity shares
of Rs 10 each.
- 58,56,815 shares allotted as bonus in proportion 1:1.
1993 - During the period, Kingfisher Lager was introduced in cans and
pints in Mumbai.
- A private placement of debentures of Rs 100 each aggregating to
Rs 10 crores and redeemable not later than 18 months from the
date of allotment was made with Citibank, NA on November 28th
- 12.5% secured redeemable NCD of Rs 125 each issued by Punjab
Breweries Ltd., since merged with the Company, came up for first
instalment of redemption on April 19, 1995 and the obligations
were met by the Company reducing the face value of the said
debentures on redemption of Rs 85 per debenture.
- The Company issued 25,000,000 convertible warrants of Re. 1 each
to McDowell & Co. Ltd. a promoter group company as per terms as
set out in the warrant certificate.
- During December the Company offered 46,85,452 equity shares of Rs
10 each for cash at a premium of Rs 25 per share on rights basis
in the rates to 2 shares for every 5 shares held (all were taken
- Another 52,80,318 shares of Rs 10 each for cash at a premium of
Rs 25 per share are reserved for firm allotment to the promoters
(all were taken up).
- 1,23,20,600 shares of Rs 10 each for cash at a premium of Rs 25
per share are reserved for preferential allotment of which
12,32,000 shares to financial institutions, 12,32,000 shares to
UB group companies, 1,79,800 shares to the employees, 12,32,000
shares to Mutual Funds, 23,40,900 shares to NRIs, 6,16,000 shares
to foreign institutional investors including mutual funds,
pension funds, investment trusts, asset management companies,
nominee companies etc. (all were taken up).
- 54,87,900 shares along with the remaining unsubscribed portion if
any of the preferential allotment were to be added (only 11,900
shares were taken up).
1994 - Draught Beer was introduced in cities like Mumbai, Calcutta and
Pune because of the immense popularity in Bangalore. `Kalyani
Premium Strong' was launched in western India and `Kalyani
Export Special' commenced sales in the U.K. during the year.
1996 - The Company continued the policy of modernising and expanding
manufacturing capabilities with emphasis on quality as well as
new product development. The company proposed to launch two new
1997 - A new product - `UB Premium ICE Beer' was launched, which was
well received in the market.
- The Company had acquired Mumbai Breweries at Taloja, Maharashtra,
a division of Herbertsons Ltd.
- 13,75,427 No. of equity shares were allotted to erstwhile
shareholders & Punjab Breweries Ltd., Indo-Lowenbran Breweries
Ltd. and Premier Breweries Ltd. as per the scheme of
- United Breweries of America, Inc. (UBA), an affiliate of the UB
group, signed an agreement in Portland, USA, to acquire 45 per
cent equity for $8.63 million in cash, in a new entity
comprised of the consolidation of Nor'Wester Brewing Company
and WVI/Microbreweries Across America.
- The United Breweries is contemplating setting up of star hotel
on Vittal Mallya road, soon after the re-location of its
brewery out of the city limits.
- Kingfisher has staged another coup by entering into a contract
with Ajay Jadeja and Saurav Ganguly the successful duo of
- United Breweries Ltd. has emerged as the largest exporter of
beer in the country.
- United Breweries Ltd. (UBL) has decided to hive off its
wholly-owned subsidiary, MIL Controls Ltd, to German
multinational, KSB Pumps GmbH.
- UBL has signed a memorandum of understanding with the
multinational around one-and-a-half months back for the proposed
- UBSN is a 50:50 joint venture company between Shepherd Neame
and UB International UK (UBI).
- Kingfisher Lager is manufactured in UK through United Breweries
plc - a 100% subsidiary of UB India.
1998 - United Breweries launched the country's first premium Ice Beer
to be introduced in Mumbai and selected cities of Maharashtra.
- The company has tied with Balaji Distilleries to bottle for the
first time in Tamil Nadu its brand beers with a capacity of
500,000 cases per annum.
- United Breweries Ltd. (UBL) proposes to enter into a joint
venture with Ugar Sugars of Belgaum to produce high-quality
barley, which it will use to produce beer.
- UB is first Indian breweries to get the certification for
effective implementation of quality management systems.
- The United Breweries has launched a new speciality beer-UB Ice.
This is the first-time that an ice beer has been introduced in
1999 - United Breweries Ltd (UB) announced the launch of a new
subsidiary company, Millennium Alcobev Ltd (MABL).
- United Breweries Ltd. (UB), has launched
www.kingfishernetshop.com, an Internet shop for the complete
range of Kingfisher beer and Kingfisher line of clothing &
2000 - United Breweries Ltd., has recently launched its fast growing
brand Kingfisher Strong on the Net in Bangalore.
- Kingfisher, major lager beer and flagship brand of United
Breweries, was adjudged the best beer in class `A' category at
the International Beer Awards 2000.
- The United Breweries Ltd. and its subsidiary Millennium Alcobev
Ltd. have entered into a contract agreement with Mohan Meakins to
brew beer at the latter's facilities in Maharashtra, Uttar
Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Daman.
- Mr. Ravi Jain's Millennium Alobev Ltd. a subsidiary of United Breweries,
is in negotiations with an international beer company for an equity joint
venture to market a super premium beer in India.
- United Breweries, the holding company of the UB group, will be bifurcated
into two companies: a beer company and an investment holdings/property
- UB Ltd has carried out a reorganisation of its businesses by hiving off four
subsidiaries and making seven companies its fully-owned arms, apart from
acquiring the sorghum business of South African Breweries Ltd.
- United Breweries Ltd. acquired two breweries of Aurangabad-based Inertia
Industries located in Aurangabad and in Haryana.
- Vijay Mallya's United Breweries has entered into a strategic allance with
Intertia Industries to produce beer using the latter's manufacturing facilities
in Haryana and Maharashtra.
- The Company has signed an agreement to acquire 65 per cent of the equity
of Associated Breweries and Distilleries Ltd.
2001 - The United Breweries will re-launch San Miguel and London Pilsner the new
beer brands in its portfolio.
- United Breweries Ltd has consumated an agreement to purchase 75 per cent of
Mangalore Breweries & Distilleries Ltd, through its wholly owned subsidiary United
Breweries (Holdings) Ltd.
- United Breweries (Holdings), a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Breweries,
has entered into an agreement to acquire up to 75 per cent of the paid-up equity capital
of Mangalore Breweries and Distilleries Ltd.
- The United Breweries (UB) group has signed reseller and licence agreement to
market SeeItFirst interactive streaming media solutions in Asia.
-U B Ltd has increased the borrowing limit of the company by Rs 200 crore to Rs 700 crore to fund its various plans including acquisitions.
- United Breweries Ltd. (UBL), the largest beer manufacturer and marketing company, has launched two more premium brands-London Pilsner premium beer and London No.1 strong beer - in Hyderabad.
-United Breweries Ltd has informed that their ultimate subsidiary McDowell Alocbev Ltd (MAL) has concluded an agreement arising out of which, MAL have acquired 100% shareholding in Empee Breweries Ltd which is having two breweries, one in Kerala and one in Tamil Nadu.
-United Breweries (Holdings) Ltd. has informed that at the AGM held on September 26, 2003, the members have approved to delist the shares of the Company from New Delhi, Ahmedabad, Calcutta, Ludhiana, Chennai, Hyderabad and Cochin Stock Exchanges.
-United Breweries Holdings Ltd will be buying the 50 per cent stake held by United Distiller Plc of Scotland in its 50:50 joint venture, United Distillers India. The company was set up exclusively for scotches and has a distilling plant at Nashik.
-United Breweries Holdings Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors in their meeting held on December 18, 2004, authorised on behalf of the Company, Dr Vijay Mallya, Chairman to execute agreements, with Scottish & Newcastle Plc (S&N), Strategic partner of United Breweries Ltd.
-United Breweries Holdings Ltd has informed that pursuant to the amalgamation of United Breweries of America Inc., British Virgin Islands, into the Company:
1. The equity shares of the Company would be issued to M/s. Watson Ltd, shares of which are in turn held by M/s. Continental Administration Services Ltd.
2. The post merger shareholding in the Company of the promoters and parsons acting in concert would to be 54.93%.
Further the Company has informed that 25% of the Equity shares of the Company that would be issued to Watson Ltd will be kept under Lock-in for a period of 3 years from the date of listing of these shares on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
-United Breweries Holdings Ltd has informed that Mr. B S Patil has been appointed as an Additional Director of the Company with effect from March 22, 2006, in terms of Article 114 of the Articles of Association of the Company.
-Further the Company has informed that Mr. Mani Narayanaswami ceases to be Director of the Company with effect from March 22, 2006.
-United Breweries (Holdings) Ltd has given the Bonus in the Ratio of 1:1
- Edelweiss Capital Ltd ("Manager to the Offer") on behalf of Kingfisher Radio Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of United Breweries (Holdings) Ltd, along with the Persons Acting in Concert ("PAC"), namely, United Breweries (Holdings) Ltd, its 100% subsidiary, UB Overseas Ltd and such other person / persons whom United Breweries (Holdings) Ltd may nominate (hereinafter collectively referred to as "Acquirers"), has issued this Public Announcement ("PA") to the shareholders of Deccan Aviation Ltd ("Target Company"), pursuant to Regulations 10 & 12 of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Substantial Acquisition of Shares & Takeovers) Regulations, 1997 and subsequent amendments thereto, ["SEBI (SAST) Regulations"].
The Acquirers are making an Offer to the public shareholders of the Target Company to acquire upto 27,094,024 fully paid equity shares of Rs 10/- each, representing in the aggregate 20% of the Post Issue Voting Capital at a price of Rs 155 per share ("Offer Price"), payable in cash and subject to the terms & Conditions mentioned in PA. (the "Offer")
Scheduled of Activities
Specified Date: June 07, 2007
Date of Opening of the Offer: July 25, 2007
Date of Closing of the Offer: August 13, 2007
-United Breweries Holdings Ltd has recommended a dividend of 10%
-United Breweries & Heineken Join Hands to Lead Indian Beer Market
-United Breweries Holdings Ltd has recommended a dividend of Re.1 per share (10%)
-United Breweries Holdings Ltd has recommended a dividend of Re.1 per share (10%)
-UBHL gets nod to buy Rs 150-cr goods from UBL.