1945 - The Company was Incorporated on 6th March, at Calcutta. The
company manufacture and deal in wires, cables and lines of all
kinds including A.C.S.R. and all-aluminium and copper
- 91,800 shares taken up by Directors, etc. 2,58,200 shares offered
to public. 275 shares forfeited.
1961 - The name of the company was changed from Hindustan Woollen Mills,
Ltd., to Universal Cables, Ltd., effective from 15th May.
1977 - 4,79,808 right shares issued at par in prop. 19:50.
1979 - Forfeiture on 40 shares annulled during 1978-79 and on another 40
shares in 1979-80. 8,67,824 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:2 in
1983 - The imported plant for the manufacture of cross-linked
polyethylene compounds was received and it was under
- The Company proposed to manufacture high-performance speciality
cables for aerospace, electronics, telecommunications,
transportation oil exploration and defence industries.
- A letter of intent was received from the Government of India for
production of irradiated heat shrinkable products and irradiated
heat trace cable.
- The Company's technical collaboration with General Electric
Company of USA for the manufacture of capacitors expired during
1984 - The Company signed a collaboration agreement with General
Electric, USA, for the manufacture of capacitors with superior
quality non-toxic impregnant.
1987 - 27,34,280 shares issued (prem. Rs 25 per share); 26,04,077 shares
as rights in prop. 1:1 and 1,30,203 shares to employees under
Stock Option Scheme. (All were taken up).
1990 - Development efforts were afoot for the manufacture of new
products, such as, CATV cable, cables for telephone switching
systems, LAN for computers and aerial bunched cables.
- The Company incurred a capital expenditure of Rs 7.24 crores for
expansion, manufacture of new products and updating of
technology. New products such as water-cooled DC high voltage
reactor cable, Geo-phone, Tethar cable etc, were being developed.
1991 - The Company also issued another 7,00,000-14% redeemable
non-convertible debentures of Rs 100 each to financial
institutions on private placement basis. These are to be
redeemed premium of 5% in three yearly instalments commencing
from 28th October, 1996.
1992 - With the help of R&D, it was proposed to develop special cables
for elevators, electronic equipment etc.
- The Company along with Vindhya Telelinks Ltd., and Ericosson
Cables AB of Sweden, promoted a new company viz., Birla Ericsson
Optical Ltd., for the manufacture of fibre optic cables.
1993 - Several new products were developed for defence production and
- 1,00,000-15% redeemable non-convertible debentures of Rs 100 each
were privately placed with UTI. These debentures are redeemable
at par by August 1st.
- The financial institutions were allotted 1,50,000-15% redeemable
non-convertible debentures worth Rs 1.50 crores. These
debentures are redeemable at 5% premium on the expiry of 7th year
- The Company issued 26,69,179 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each
for cash at a premium of Rs 75 per share on Rights basis in the
proportion 1:2 (only 26,67,879 shares taken up).
- Another 1,33,459 No. of equity shares at a premium of Rs 75 per
shares were also issued to the employees on an equitable basis
(only 11,650 shares taken up).
- During September, 2,818 Rights equity shares part of 1988 issue
were forfeited for non-payment of calls.
1994 - The Company entered into a joint venture agreement with the
world-renowned multinational power equipment company ASEA BROWN
BOVERI (ABB) to set up a new company viz. `Universal-ABB Power
Cables Ltd.' for the manufacture of High Voltage Cross linked
Polythene insulated power cables.
- 80,15,489 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1.
1997 - The Company received a letter of intent for the manufacture of
cross-linked polytheylene (XLP) compounds.
2002- Universal Cables Ltd has informed that M A Alagappan a Director of the company has resigned from the Board of Directors of the company w.e.f January 30, 2002.
-Shri. Jagdish Chandra Sharma has been appointed as a Director of the Company by the Board of Directors w. e. f. October 27, 2006.
-Universal Cables Ltd has appointed Shri. Dinesh Chanda as a Director of the Company by the Board of Directors w.e.f. May 23, 2007.
-Universal Cables Ltd recommended payment of dividend for the year @ Rs 2.40 per share (i.e. 24%).
-Universal Cables Ltd has informed that naame of Registrar & Share Transfer Agent of the Company has been changed from "M/s. Intime Spectrum Registry Ltd" to "Link Intime India Pvt. Ltd." with effect from January 06, 2009.
-Universal Cables formed joint venture with Japan's Furukawa for optical fibres.
-Universal Cables Ltd. recommended Dividend of Rs. 2.50 per share (i.e. @ 25%) on 2,31,30,254 fully paid-up Equity Shares of Rs. 10/- each.
- Universal Cables Ltd declared dividend of Rs. 2.00 per share (i.e. @ 20%) on 2,31,30,254 fully paid-up Equity Shares of Rs. 10/- each.
- Universal Cables Ltd has Appointed Shri D. R. Bansal as a Executive Director of the Company.
- Universal Cables Ltd has Appointed Mr. Avanish Dwivedi as Wholetime Company Secretary with effect from August 01, 2012. Further, Mr. Avanish Dwivedi has also been appointed as Compliance Officer of the Company with effect from August 01, 2012.
-Universal Cables appointed Mr. Rakesh Barmecha as Chief Financial Officer of the Company.
--Universal Cables issues rights to its existing shareholders in the ratio of 1:2