The American Express is a global travel, financial and network service provider. During 2008, the American Express bank had tied up with other corporates in India including Indian Airlines, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) and India Today Group to launch co-branded credit cards. These co-branded cards give the customers posh privilege offers while purchasing respective partners products or services. During 2016, the bank accounted for 22.9% of the total dollar volume of credit card transactions in the United States of America. As of December 2016, the American Express had 109.9 million cards in circulation, out of which 47.5 million cards were in circulation in the United States, each with an average annual spending of $17,216.
The American Express Company is popularly called as Amex. It is an American multinational financial services company, which has its operations through out the globe. It is headquartered in Three World Financial Center in New York City.
American Express was founded in 1850. It is best known for its charge card, credit card, and traveler’s cheque businesses.
The American Express Bank Limited commenced its operations in India in 1921 and hence has its significant presence in India. It has two centers located one each in Gurgaon, Haryana and on Mathura Road in New Delhi. It provides credit card business for the domestic Indian customers.
The following are the features of American Express Credit Card
• An alternative to Cash – Credit cars of American Express is a better alternative to cash. It eliminates the necessity to carry cash of various denominations to pay at the trade counters. It is easy and the best to use a credit card rather than making payments by cash.
• Payment can be made in domestic and foreign currency – With the use of American Express Credit card, the payments can be done in any currency of preference. It gives the holder a special benefit to make payments either in terms of domestic currency or in terms of foreign currency as and when required.
• Earn Points – American Express Credit card helps the customers to earn multiple points from more than 40 Payback partners and Payback points from American Express Payback Credit card for every spends.
• Pay-in-Parts Privilege – American Express Credit card provides a simple and smart way to turn big purchases of Rs 5,000 and above into easy monthly installments (EMI). It offers loan facility at a low rate of interest, without any kind of paperwork or foreclosure charges.
The following are the benefits of American Express Credit Card
• Membership Rewards – American Express Credit cards provide membership rewards to its customers. It provides dining vouchers, gift cards and vouchers, travel vouchers, shopping vouchers and jewelry vouchers which can be redeemed against the accumulated reward points.
The accumulated points can also be redeemed for groceries, travel, fashion and accessories, electronics and one can also shop with the accumulated points.
• Cardmember Offers – American Express has tie-ups with leading brands in the world which provides attractive offers for the customers. The leading brands are from all the segments ranging from groceries, healthcare, travel, hotels, dining, retail outlets and so on.
• Online Services – With the advent of the internet, the banking transactions can be done conveniently at one's fingertips. American Express offers its customers easy access to avail its facilities through online services. The customer can pay the card bill, apply for a supplementary card, check the list of transactions, and so on through online conveniently.
• Insurance – American Express Credit card has tie-ups with some insurance companies in India which includes, ICICI Lombard, Bharti AXA General Insurance, and PNB MetLife India. It provides an array of insurance facilities to the cardholders – travel insurance, car insurance, health insurance, personal accident insurance and life insurance.
The Applicants who wish to apply for an American Express Credit Card can do so by either visiting the nearest American Express Branch and applying for the desired credit card
can also apply for the Credit Card through the bank’s website at https://www.americanexpress.com/in/
can contact the bank by calling the customer care Merchant services toll free number at 1800-419-1414 or 0124-280-1414 (landline) from Monday to Saturday between 10 am to 9 pm.
Applicants can directly walk into the nearest branch of the American Express Bank and express the desire to obtain a credit card from the bank. The bank executive will explain them about the features of all the credit cards after understanding the annual income, needs, and requirements of the prospective customer.
Once the applicant zeroes in the card as per the requirement, he/she will be asked to fill in the application form and enclose the required documents which include PAN card, identity proof, address proof, income proof and so on.
The bank representative will thoroughly go through the application form along with the other submitted documents provided by the applicant and will take a final call whether the applicant meets the eligibility criteria for the credit card for which they have applied for. Once the check is done the applicant will be provided with the desired credit card.
It will be at the discretion of the American Express Bank to decide if a customer has to be given Credit Card or not.
To apply for American Express Credit Card through online, visit the bank's website portal at www.americanexpress.com/in/ and then click on the cards option which is present on the topmost left side of the web page.
Now select the Credit Cards under the Personal Cards section, it will take you to the credit cards page which shows the different types of credit cards offered by the bank along with the features, reward points, benefits, offers and so on. Go through all the credit cards offered by the bank and analyze the best one which suits your individual needs and requirements. After zeroing on the card of your choice click on the Apply now button which is shown in highlights. It will take you to the eligibility application page, where the terms and conditions of the credit card and the bank will be mentioned.
Keep a copy of the list of documents mentioned in the page before moving ahead and go through these documents carefully and after understanding all the terms and conditions click on the space provided to give your consent that you have read and understood all the details as mentioned in the eligibility application and click on Get Started option.
The page asks you to give information about yourself, fill in all the details correctly as per the requirements. The list of information includes:
• First Name
• Middle Name
• Last Name
• e-mail Address
• Mobile Number
• Date of Birth
• Annual Net Income (Note: The applicant will be eligible to apply for credit card, only if his/her net income on an annual basis should be more than the set limit as prescribed by the American Express Bank)
• PAN Number
• Residential Address Details
• PIN Code
After filling in all the above-mentioned details, now click on Save and Continue option. It will take you to a new page wherein you have to fill in the details regarding
• Existing American Express Card Number, if any – so that the same may be considered for your existing KYC Documents.
• Employer Details
* Employment Status
* Company Name
* Company Address
* Pin Code
* Landline number along with STD Code
* Office number
• Other Details
* Educational Level
• Aadhaar Card number
• Is the address on your KYC documents is same as your current residential address?
Once the above-mentioned details are filled in click on the save and continue option to review and submit the form lastly.
Once the details are filled in, the bank will check whether the candidate is eligible to avail the credit card for which they have applied for. Based on the eligibility of the customer, they may or may not receive the credit card, it will be on the discretion of the American Express Bank to decide if a customer has to be given Credit Card or not.
• Applicant should be over 18 years of age.
• Applicant should have a good credit history and no payment defaults.
• If the applicant is self-employed then his/her company should be trading for more than 12 months.
• Applicant should have a good CIBIL score.
• The applicant's personal annual income should be equal to more than the required level as set by the American Express Bank. (depending on the type of the credit card, the income requirement varies)
• Recent passport size photograph
• Aadhaar card
• Latest salary slips / Income Tax Returns / Form 16
• Residential Proof documents – Election Voter ID, Passport, Ration Card, Electricity Bill, Driving License
The Credit Cards offered by American Express are designed to provide ultimate assistance to the cardholders. It has various features like lifestyle deals, travel benefits, payback points, reward points redemption scheme and so on at the international level, which attracts most of the valuable customers. The card is drafted keeping in mind the obligation of the global customers.
Automatic Bill payment enables the cardholder to set up the bills that will be charged to the respective card automatically. The cardholder has to contact the service provider once and provide them the details of the card and authorize then to charge your card automatically for each and every bill. Once it is set up, the cardholder need not have to worry about any due date or missed payment date, late fees or any kind of service interruptions. All the bills will be paid automatically.
A cardholder can visit the nearest American Express Bank and meet an executive and inform about the intention to close the existing credit card.
Fill in the details of Credit Card Closure Form and submit the same to the Branch Manager. Once the process of cancellation is initiated, the cardholder should cut the respective credit card diagonally. The request will automatically lead to the termination of the add-on cards.
Termination will be effective after payment of all amounts outstanding on the card account.
Cardholders can also download the Credit Card Closure Form. After filling up the form the same can be sent to The Manager of American Express Bank at the below-mentioned address: American Express Banking Corp., Cyber City, Tower-C, DLF Bldg. No.8, Sector-25, DLF City Ph-II, Gurgaon – 122002, Haryana, India.
The Cardholder can also call the Customer Care of the American Express Bank and can cancel their credit cards at any point of time by calling the toll-free number at 1800-419-1414 for Merchant Services or 0124-280-1414 (landline) from Monday to Saturday between (10 am to 9 pm).
For terminal or technical assistance the cardholder can contact EDC Helpdesk at toll-free number 1800-419-1414 or 0124-280-1414 from Monday to Saturday between (10 am to 9 pm).
For queries regarding transaction authorization, cardholder can call at 1800-419-5960 (Toll-Free) or 0124-280-1010 (Landline). The authorization help desk is operational for 24/7.