Citibank issued its first credit card in the year 1990 in India. It was the first bank to launch Credit Card in India. Since then it has been issuing Credit Cards to suit the individual's needs. It designs the credit cards to meet the niche customers requirements. In 2003, Citibank had a market share of 35 percent in terms of allocating. During 2014, it announced its plans to increase the credit card portfolio with the launch of two lifestyle products namely – Citi Prestige and Citi Ultima Infinite. These cards were designed to cater to the discerning needs of the global Indian.
In 2015, Citibank and MasterCard together launched Citi MasterPass, a global digital wallet in India, designed to cater to the debit and credit card users to accommodate to shop at more than 2,50,000 e-commerce merchants located in India as well as abroad with safe, simple and quick online payment experience. In the same year of 2015, the number of credit cards users of Citibank grew and accounted for around 2.41 million.It stood at the fourth position for the largest number of credit cards in India.
Citibank India is an Indian private sector bank. It is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is a subsidiary of Citigroup, a multinational financial service provider, which is headquartered in New York, United States of America.
The Citibank was established in 1902 in Calcutta, West Bengal. The bank has a long history in India. Presently, Citigroup is the owner of Citibank India. It has its presence in 19 cities with 35 full-service bank branches and more than 500 ATMs across the country.
The global corporate and investment banking firm provides a range of financial services which includes cash management and trade services, securities custodianship, foreign exchange, fixed income, equities sales, trading and corporate finance to corporate clients, governments and financial institutions.
In retail banking, it offers credit cards, auto loan facilities, mortgages, personal loan, investment services for the customers.
It currently has 12,500 employees in India.
The following are the features of Citibank Credit Card:
No Annual Fee – Citibank offers a wide range of credit cards to its valued customers who need not have to pay any kind of annual fee on a yearly basis. This facility is spread across a range of cards which the bank offers to its customers.
Go Cashless – With the introduction of a credit card, the need to carry physical cash has diminished. The credit card has reduced the hassles of carrying cash everywhere. A smart digitized credit card is enough to pay all the bills ranging from shopping, groceries, fuel, travel, movies and the list goes on.
Internet Banking – Citibank’s Credit Card information pertaining to accounts of both the current and previous month can be viewed and obtained from the internet banking system. One can also check the payment status, monthly statement and it also helps the user to pay the dues on bills using an online payment gateway. The user can also request for the duplicate PIN, change the address of communication, can also order for the draft facility, and so on.
Rewards – The credit card offered by the Citibank comes with a range of offers for the benefits of customers. One such offer rewards, with Citibank’s credit card, the customer can accumulate reward points and the same can be redeemed against a host of options. The cardholder can visit the rewards category of the bank in respective web portal and can choose from the diverse reward redemption options like books, apparel, accessories, travel, hotels, apparel, entertainment and so on.
Reward points earned from some of the Citibank’s credit card will never expire, so one can make use of them judiciously.
The following are the benefits of using Citibank Credit Card
1. Save on Fuel Bills – An individual who uses Citibank’s credit card can earn Turbo Points during every purchase of fuel. When the card is used in any of the Indian Oil outlet across the country for the purchase of fuel then it will fetch more points.
2. Waiver of Annual Fee – Any customer who uses Citibank’s credit card has an opportunity wherein his/her annual fee on the credit card will be waived off if at least Rs 30,000 is spent on an annual basis.
3. Insurance – Some of the bank’s credit card provides insurance coverage to frequent fliers apart from a cover on the lost card’s liability. The bank also provides Air Accident Insurance apart from Overseas medical insurance to its customer base.
4.Universal Recognition – Citibank is a multinational bank which has its presence in many countries across the globe. Credit Cards issued by Citibank are universally accepted and it aids for cashless buying across millions of merchant locations present the world.
The Citibank offers a new referral programme designed for credit cardholders. Anyone who already has a Citibank’s Credit Card can refer their friends and family members for a Citibank’s Credit Card and earn from a minimum of Rs 250 to maximum of Rs 5,000 worth Flipkart Voucher on each of the valid referral.
It is an Online credit card referral programme for a prospective customer who does not have a credit card of Citibank. Prospects can refer their family members and friends to apply for a new credit card of the bank through this program.
It is only for the issuance of new credit cards and not for securing the add-on cards by the existing customer.
A customer can apply for Citibank’s credit card either through offline or online mode. By submitting the required documents along with the filled in application form, an individual can get access to the bank’s credit card after final securing approval from bank authorities.
A prospective customer can apply for a Citibank’s Credit Card via offline by visiting the nearest branch of the Citibank and expressing the interest to secure a Credit Card of his/her choice as per the requirements. The prospective customer has to fill up the required application form with all the necessary details including name, date of birth, income, personal information and so on. If they meet the eligibility criteria as pre-decided by the bank, their application will be taken forward.
An applicant can visit the official web portal of Citibank at www.online.citibank.co.in and click on the Credit Cards which appears on the left-hand side of the page.
Go through all the Credit Cards which the bank offers to its valued customers, zero in on one of the credit card, which suits your needs and requirements. Once the card is selected now proceed to fill in the application form.
Enter all the details as required on the application form
• Email ID:
• Mobile Number
• Do you have a Citibank Savings Account
• Personal Data
* Date of Birth
• Professional Details
* Company Name
• Address for Communication
• Preferred mailing address: Office or Residence
After filling up all the required fields submit the application online and on receipt of your application, the bank will examine the credibility of the information provided in the application form. Based on the eligibility criteria of the applicant, the bank will decide whether the applicant has to receive credit card or not.
• Prospective Applicant should be in the age group of 18 to 70 years.
• Applicant should have a permanent monthly income.
• Should have a good CIBIL score.
• Applicant should be a resident of India or a Non-Resident Indian.
• One Passport Size Photograph
• PAN Card
• Income Proof – Pay Slip for last three months or latest 1 or 2 months salary slips or Income Tax Return or Latest Bank Statement for 3 months or Form 16
• Identity Proof – Bank Statement or Aadhaar Card or Election Voter ID or Driving License
• Address Proof – Passport or Driving License or Election Voter ID or Ration Card or Rental Agreement or Bank account statement
The Citibank’s credit cards offer best reward schemes to its valuable customers. It has a unique feature of having international presence and recognition. The cards are designed to meet varied day to day needs of the customers.
• Best Reward Points
Citibank’s credit cards provide reward points during every purchase and the same can be redeemed for securing vouchers, special deals and at some of the merchandises.
• Insurance Benefits
Most of the Citibank’s credit cards comes with insurance coverage in case of any unforeseen events. It includes travel accident coverage, health insurance, and lost luggage insurance.
• An assortment of Credit Cards
Citibank has designed Credit Card by keeping in mind different types of customers and their personal requisites. There is a card for each and every segment of niche customers. One can choose from the available options which best suits their needs.
A portion of the credit limit assigned to your credit card account can be used for withdrawing cash. This is called as “Cash Limit” the assigned Credit limit is inclusive of the cash limit.
Cash withdrawal from the credit card is subject to the applicability of interest charges and cash withdrawal fee.
Q: What are the different categories of credit cards Citibank India offers?
A: Citibank India offers credit cards in different categories such as follows:-
Travel Credit Card: Citibank Premier Miles Credit Card
Shopping Credit Cards: Citibank Rewards Card, Citibank Rewards, Domestic Credit Card, Citibank Cashback Credit Card, First Citizen, Citibank Titanium Credit Card, and Citibank Platinum Credit Card
Fuel Credit Cards: Indian Oil Citibank Platinum Credit Card and Indian Oil Citibank Titanium Credit Card.
Lifestyle Credit Card: Citi Prestige Credit Card.
Cash Back Credit Card: Citi cash back credit card
Q: How are Citibank credit cards useful for international transaction purpose?
A: Citibank India offers credit cards which can be used internationally, which means that is it can be used in India and abroad as well. Credit Cards, however, cannot be used to make foreign currency transactions in Nepal and Bhutan. Customers can also get domestic only cards available with Citibank like the ‘Citibank Rewards Domestic Card’ which can only be used in India and at Indian web portals.
Q: How can I redeem my credit card reward points?
A: Rewards points accumulated on any Credit card offered by Citibank are redeemable at partner outlets against fuel, gift vouchers, air miles, cash back or at online shopping outlets. To know about the eligibility criteria for your credit card contact Citibank credit card customer support.
Q: What are the features & benefits of Citibank Corporate Card?
A: The following are the features and benefits of Citibank Corporate Card
· Citibank Corporate Card is a tailor-made card which aims to meet the credit needs of corporate employees.
· All the cards issued under this scheme can be centrally monitored with single window access which makes it easy for the accounts department to manage expenses.
· For the employees, travel hassle free and earn exciting rewards.
· As a Citibank corporate credit card holder, you not only get to use this card for work-related expenses but also become eligible for special deals on shopping, travel, entertainment, spas, golf, hotel stays around the world.
Q: What does travel insurance cover? Do I need it?
A: Your Travel Insurance policy covers:
· Cashless treatment in case of medical emergencies for up to $1, 50,000, during your stay abroad.
· Expenses incurred due to loss/delay of checked in baggage.
· Delayed/cancelled trip expenses.
· Loss of Passport / Visa or other travel documents.
· Legal third party liability of up to $1, 00,000.
· Your home contents in India against fire & allied perils, up to Rs.1, 00,000.
· Travel shield Single Trip Insurance is your best travel companion on whom you can count on.
Q: What are the features of the Citibank PremierMiles Credit Card?
A: PremierMiles Credit Card is specially crafted to suit the travel needs of a person who is a frequent air traveller by offering Air Miles and travel insurance cover.
Features & Benefits of Citibank PremierMiles Credit Card:-
· Specially designed for the frequent flyers, PremierMiles card comes with Air Mile points for every travel booked using the card.
· Air Miles can be redeemed across 100 domestic and international airlines.
· Cardholders stand to get 10 Miles for every Rs.100 spent on airline transactions. 3000 Miles are awarded upon card renewal.
· PremierMiles card offers complimentary access to premium airport lounges located across India.
· Other features which are inclusive in the card include travel insurance coverage, loan on credit card and exclusive travel & dining offers.
Q: What are the features of Citibank Cashback Credit Card?
A: Make your everyday purchases naturally rewarding with this card that offers you cash back on essential spends and discounts across restaurants.
Features & Benefits of Citibank Cashback Credit Card:-
· With Citibank Cashback card, customers can get cash back offers and other exclusive rewards on their everyday spends on essential and non-essential items.
· Cardholders stand to get 5% cash back on movie ticket purchases, telephone bill payments and utility bill payments.
· All the cash back is automatically credited and redeemed in multiples of Rs.500.
· One can get up to 20% savings across 2000 restaurants present in India like Pizza Hut and Costa Coffee with Citibank credit cards.
· Other value-added services on the card are instant loans, EMI option on spends above Rs.2500 and attractive balance transfer options.
Q: How fast will the funds reflect in my Credit Card Account while doing the online payment?
A: Once the transaction has been successfully completed, your Bank will debit the funds from your Bank account and transfer the same to Citibank. On receipt of the funds, the same will be credited to your Credit Card by end of the day, else the next working day. Make sure the payment should be made before 5 p.m. Funds transfer request made on non-working days will get executed on the following working day. The actual time usually taken to credit the account depends on the time taken by your bank to process the payment.
Q: What happens to the funds if the Credit Card Number specified is invalid?
A: In the event of an invalid Card number being submitted by the customer, the funds will be returned back to the originating bank within one working day. To check the status of the credit into your account, please get in touch with your Bank.
Q: What is the revolving credit facility?
A: Once you receive your credit bill, you have the flexibility of selecting any of the following payment options:
1. Pay the total amount due.
2. Pay only the minimum amount due.
3. Pay any amount between the minimum amount due to the total amount due.
4. Should you opt for either of the last two options, then the unpaid amount due is carried forward to the next billing period.
5. This is referred to as the revolving credit facility