SBI Credit Card was first launched in October 1998 in India’s capital city New Delhi. It was launched in a joint venture with GE Capital. It is incorporated as SBI Cards and Payments Services Private Limited. It is headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana. The State Bank of India is the largest public sector bank in India. The term SBI is a household name in India. It is considered as the most trusted banker in India, this faith led to achieving a credit card customer base of 1 lakh within a short span of 10 months after its initial launch. Later by February 2000, its number increased to 2.50 lakh and crossed a whopping 5 lakh by December 2000. As of 2017, SBI Credit Card entered into 5 million cards club.
In 2003, SBI Credit Card launched city-specific Affinity Cards targeting professionals, middle and upper-middle-class segments and also frequent travelers of the society. In the year 2006, to ease the customers who book train tickets,
SBI Credit Card collaborated with Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) and launched a loyalty-cum-credit travel card. The unique feature of this card is the cardholders are eligible to receive up to 10% value back on the railway bookings and they can also get offers on their retail spending.
• Global Acceptance – The SBI Credit Card is accepted both in India as well as in the foreign countries.
• Loan Facilities – The SBI Credit Card provides hassle-free loan facilities on demand. One time processing fee of 2%, up to a minimum amount of Rs 499 and a maximum amount of Rs 3,000 has to be paid. Loan repayment can be done within 12 or 24 or 36 months. The rate of interest is very low. Documentation is not required, there is no paper-work involved to secure the loan.
• Balance Transfer – SBI Credit Cards provide ‘low-interest rate on balance transfer’ facility. It is available to all the residents of India who are holders of a valid and current primary SBI Credit Card.
Balance Transfer amount ordered by a primary SBI Cardholder would be processed by SBI Cards and Payment Services Private Limited subject to a minimum ordered amount of Rs 5,000 and a maximum ordered amount of 75% of the available credit limit assigned to the concerned primary SBI card account.
• Balance Transfer on EMI- SBI Credit Card provides Balance Transfer on EMI, with a minimum transfer amount of Rs 5,000 and a maximum amount of 75% of the available credit limit as assigned to the SBI Cardholder. The cardholder shall be levied a foreclosure fee amounting to 3% of the Principal amount outstanding in case of the Offer being voluntarily pre-closed by the customer prior to the maturity of the tenure period opted for.
• Flexipay –SBI Credit Card charges a default rate of interest of 22% on this facility. A differential rate of interest is applicable from the select set of cardholders. The Rate of interest charged will be intimated to cardholder prior to availing the facility.
Factors which determine the rate of interest are credit risk profile and past transactions or repayment behavior of the customer.
• Encash – SBI Credit Card provides encash offer to its credit cardholders. SBI cardholders can avail the benefits under this offer by requesting for a chequebook which would be sent to the cardholders registered address. The monthly repayment amount will be calculated based on the following formula (principal amount + interest charge) / tenure in months. The monthly repayment schedule will begin from the SBI Cardholders next billing statement and it will continue over the tenure period chosen for the offer.
• Card Upgrade – SBI Credit Cardholder can upgrade the card facility by paying an annual fee. The upgrade will be offered to eligible customers based on the internal evaluation of the customer's performance and credit history of the card. The old plastic cards will be active for a period of 90 days from the date of upgrading to a new card.
• Easy Bill Pay Service – This facility is available for SBI Credit Cardholders for select billers in select cities in India. The services will be available to the registered cardholders and to the exclusion of all others. The cardholder agrees to pay a convenience charge while registering through SBI Card website.
The following are the benefits of using SBI Credit Card.
1. Lower Interest Option – SBI Credit Card charges the lower interest rate on the outstanding credit balance. One can use this option and transfer the outstanding balances of other credit cards to SBI Credit Card at a lower interest rate or can convert transactions into easy monthly installments (EMI). The current rate of interest is 0.75% per month for a period of three months and 1.27% per month for six months.
2. Encash – With the SBI Credit Card, the cardholder can have easy accessibility for cash. The holder of the card can encash up to or above the set credit limit. The user can enjoy hassle-free money using SBI Credit Card as per the requirements. The repayment option is also made convenient by SBI, it doubles up the benefit for the customer.
3. Simplified Form of Money – With the introduction of Credit Card, one need not have to visit the bank every time for withdrawing money. Cards can be used to pay for bills and thus the process of paying bills has been simplified.
4. Insurance – SBI Credit Cardholder can choose different types of Insurance cover, provided by State Bank of India empowering the account holder to tackle the future unforeseen events in life. It is currently providing the following types of insurance cover for cardholders – Health Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance, and Card Protection Plan.
5. Utility Bill Payments – By using SBI Credit Card, an individual can avail the benefits of Auto Bill Pay. After registering for Auto Bill Pay, one can ensure that all the bills will be paid automatically on time and one need not have to worry about missing the deadlines for bill payment. Using Auto Bill Pay mechanism you can pay telephone, mobile, electricity bills, insurance premium and so on. By registering the billers and setting up the standard instructions to pay the bills on time, all the bills will be paid on time every time, automatically. Once the bills are paid automatically you will receive an SMS and e-mail confirming the payment information, bill due dates, and new biller additions.
6. Easy Access – One can access SBI Card account anytime, anywhere with sbicard.com or you can also use Simply SMS or can download the SBI Card mobile app or can download yono by SBI Android App. The process of accessing SBI Credit Card has been simplified to a great extent.
The quickest way to apply for an SBI Card is to apply for Credit Card through SBI’s website at www.sbicard.com.
You can also call SBI Card Helpline number at 39020202 (prefix STD Code of your respective city).
Visit the nearest SBI Branch and apply for an SBI Credit Card.
Applicants can visit the official website of SBI credit cards at www.sbicard.com, and click on apply which is shown at the top right side of the page. Under the apply tab, the applicant will have to choose from the following options
• Help Me Find a Card
• Track My Application
• Retrieve My Application
The ‘Help Me Find a Card’ will lead the applicant to a list of credit cards that they can choose from as per there requirements. Applicants can choose from these cards after considering their minimum annual income and the reward points that a particular credit card has to offer. Once the suitable credit card is chosen, the applicant needs to select the ‘Apply Now’ option that will direct them to a new page and further information has to be filled as mentioned below.
• Date of Birth
• Annual Income
• PAN Number
• Email id
• Mobile Number
• Enter OTP (this will be sent the applicant’s registered mobile number)
Once the details are filled in, the bank will check whether the candidate is eligible to avail the credit card for which they have applied for. Based on the eligibility of the customer, they may or may not receive the credit card, it will be on the discretion of the SBI Bank to decide if a customer has to be given Credit Card or not.
Applicants can also apply for an SBI Credit Card, by sending an email to SBI bank directly.
Applicants can directly walk into the nearest branch of the SBI Bank and express the desire to obtain a credit card from the bank.
The bank executive will explain you about the features of all the credit cards after understanding the annual income, needs, and requirements of the prospective customer.
Once the applicant zeroes in the card as per the requirement, he/she will be asked to fill in the SBI Bank Credit Card Application Form and enclose the required documents which include PAN card, identity proof, address proof, income proof and so on.
The bank representative will thoroughly go through the application form along with the other submitted documents provided by the applicant and will take a final call whether the applicant meets the eligibility criteria for the credit card for which they have applied for. Once the check is done the applicant will be provided with the desired credit card.
It will be at the discretion of the SBI Bank to decide if a customer has to be given Credit Card or not.
SBI Credit Card provides the customer with a variety of cards to fulfill the individual needs and requirements. It may either be for shopping, dining, travel, premium and so on.
The interest rates are lower compared to other credit card facilities.
SBI Credit Card provides the holders an option to convert the pricey purchase to easy monthly installments, at a lower rate of interest.
SBI Credit Card provides various reward schemes to the customers, which gets accumulated after purchasing products at selected outlets across the country. The same can be redeemed for special offers and deals.
SBI provides the unique opportunity to its cardholders to use the card for securing shopping discounts, travel concessions, cash advance facilities and balance transfer on EMI and so on.
In today’s digitized world, credit card bill can be paid through any one of the following way – Cash, Cheque, Demand Draft, Debit Card, Net Banking, Visa Money Transfer, NEFT/RTGS Transfer.
A cardholder can close the Credit Card Account by writing to SBI Credit Card or calling the SBI Card Helpline.
After placing the request for account closure, the cardholder is required to cut their credit card(s) diagonally. The request will automatically lead to the termination of the add-on cards.
Termination will be effective after payment of all amounts outstanding on the card account.