The Standard Chartered Bank provides an array of credit cards to its customers. Standard Chartered announced its plan to launch Approval-in-Principle (AIP) for the customers apply for credit cards via online in September 2011. This was the first of its kind of service in India. The AIP is designed to enable the customers to get an instant approval in-principal decision the individual's credit card application. In the year 2012, the bank went digital with the launch of India’s first instant online Credit Card approval solution, which will enable a customer to apply for a card online and receive an ‘Approval In Principle’ (AIP) almost instantly.
The Bank builds its products and services around the customers and has a number of commitments to help them to ensure that the customers have the best possible experience with the bank.
During 2011, in association with Lifestyle International (P) Ltd, part of the Dubai based Landmark Group, the Standard Chartered announced the launch of their co-branded credit card – Standard Chartered Inner Circle Platinum Credit Card.
During October 2012, the bank in collaboration with Yatra.com launched the “Standard Chartered Yatra Platinum Credit Card”.The card included a range of benefits to the credit-card user customers when they make travel reservations on Yatra.com apart from the regular shopping and other spends.
In the year 2017, Standard Chartered Bank announced the launch of ‘Ultimate’ credit card for affluent consumers with one of the highest reward point value in the market.
The Standard Chartered Bank is India’s oldest as well as the largest International Bank. It has been operating in India since 1858. It was first incorporated as The Chartered Bank of India, Australia, and China in London 1853 by a Scotsman James Wilson under a Royal Charter from the Queen Victoria of England.
In 1858, it opened its first branches in Calcutta, Bombay, and Shanghai.
In the year 1969, the Chartered Bank merged with Standard Bank, which did business throughout Africa. The merged enterprise was incorporated in London with the new name as Standard Chartered.
Currently, it has 100 branches across 43 cities in India. The key client's segments include Corporate & Institutional Banking, Commercial & Private Banking, and Retail Banking.
Standard Chartered has following subsidiaries which have its operations in India: Standard Chartered Securities (India) Ltd; Standard Chartered Private Equity Advisory (India) Private Limited; Standard Chartered Investments and Loans (India) Limited; Standard Chartered Finance Limited and SCOPE International.
The following are the features of Standard Chartered Credit Card
• Good Life Programme – Standard Chartered provides a host of offers and discounts on lifestyle, movie, healthcare, shopping, dining, travel and so on with its credit card. It has tie-ups with leading brands including Lifestyle stores, Medanta, P.C. Chandra Jewellers, Joyalukkas, AMRI Hospitals, Manipal Hospitals and the list goes on.
• Buy Anything on EMI – Standard Chartered Credit Card offers its customers an opportunity to convert big expenses which are above Rs 5000 to easy EMIs with Kuch Bhi on EMI scheme. The expense amount can be converted to EMI either through online banking or Standard Chartered (SC) Mobile service. The cardholder can enjoy an attractive rate of interest apart from securing adjustable tenure options ranging from 6 to 48 months and low processing charge of 1% is levied. No charges will be levied if the EMI is pre-closed and alluring pricing options.
• 360° Rewards – Standard Chartered provides its customers the easiest way to earn and redeem rewards through 360° Rewards. The cardholder can earn reward points and cashback offer during transactions and the earned reward points can be redeemed across a variety of available options which includes home, dining, fashion, electronics and if one is lucky enough then he/she can also get a chance to book for a holiday or an exotic trip.
• Digital Payment Solution – Standard Chartered Bank offers its customers a vast options of instant payment solutions like BharatQR, Bharat Bill Payment Solution (BBPS), IMPS, Samsung Pay, Mobile Banking, Internet Banking. The credit card bill can be paid from anywhere by using the advanced technology of internet banking, various available apps and so on.
• Online Banking and Standard Chartered Mobile – A cardholder can check the card balance and make convenient and instant card payments via online banking and SC Mobile. A host of services are available at the fingertips of the customers with the introduction of Standard Chartered Online banking and Mobile app facilities. It provides a range of facilities including the account information, credit card services, fund transfers, bill payment facilities, prepaid mobile top-up facility, loan details, online shopping, digital signature certificate, investment services.
One can subscribe for eStatements by logging on to the online banking or can open term deposit or can request for chequebook, can also update personal details and lastly can upload documents via online without visiting any bank’s branch.
• Contactless Credit Card – Standard Chartered provides Contactless credit card to enjoy faster checkouts, more secure payments during every transaction and savor complete freedom from cash.
• Secure Online Transactions – The transactions made via online using Standard Chartered Card is very secure and one can transfer amount to any VISA credit cardholder in India from Standard Chartered Bank account within 3 working days.
The following are the benefits of Standard Chartered Credit Card:
1. Low Rate of Interest – Standard Chartered Credit Card charges the low rate of interest on the outstanding credit balance.
2. Assures Savings – Standard Chartered Credit Card provides cashback on fuel, phone and utility bills. Thus ensuring super savings. One can get 1 reward point for every Rs 150 when you use the credit card for all other expenses.
3. Cash Free Transactions – With the introduction of cards, the individuals can pay the bills without carrying cash with them all the time. It reduces the risk of carrying cash. Transactions are usually secure in nature. In case if you notice any unauthorized credit card transactions, then report to the bank immediately and you need not have to pay for those unauthorized transactions. One can figure out unauthorized charges quickly by regularly observing the online transactions online throughout the month rather than waiting for billing statement to arrive via mail.
4. More Concessions – By using Standard Chartered Credit Cards one can avail more concessions in the form of 5% cashback on duty-free outlets, where the merchant is registered as a duty-free vendor. It also gives you Priority Pass, which gives access to over 1000 domestic and international airports across the globe.
5. Payments Gateway – Standard Chartered Bank’s Payment Gateway provides you an exceptional facility to pay for goods and services via online from more than 7000 merchants across the globe. The bank has tie-ups with a wide range of merchants including Tech Process and CC Avenue, which enables the customer to conduct transactions from ticketing to bill payments, mobile recharge, e-commerce purchases, banking and financial transactions using websites through the bank’s Net banking online payment gateway.
Individuals can apply for Standard Chartered Bank’s Credit Card either through online mode or through offline mode or by calling customer care service center.
Applicants have to fill in all the details correctly as mentioned in the application form and it should be supported by relevant documents.
Applicants can walk into any of the nearest branch of Standard Chartered Bank and express their interest to procure a credit card of the bank. Once they express their desire to obtain a credit card, the bank executive will walk them through the range of credit cards available with the bank along with their features and benefits of owning the card. The customer can evaluate the available options and can make a choice of credit card as per the individual needs and requirements.
After choosing the card, the individual has to fill in the application form and submit the required documents as per the procedure once they fulfill the set eligibility criteria of the bank. They have to submit the form along with the necessary documents including age proof, address proof, income proof, identity proof. Once the bank is done with cross-checking the details as provided by the applicant, it will take a final call about issuing the credit card to the customer.
Based on the eligibility criteria, a prospective customer, may or may not receive the credit card, it will be solely on the discretion of the Standard Chartered Bank to decide if a customer has to be given a credit card or not.
Prospective applicants can visit the official website of Standard Chartered Bank at www.sc.com/in/ and click on Our Products at the top left side of the page. Under Our Products select Credit Cards option.
In Credit Cards-Cashback, Rewards and Travel options will be available. Go through the features and benefits of each and every credit card before zeroing on one credit card that suits your individual criteria. Proceed and click on the selected card of your choice, it will take you Apply Online page wherein the individual has to submit the following details which includes
• Do you have an existing SCB Credit Card
• Have you held any cards /loans in the past
• City where you live
• Date of Birth
• Source of Income
• Gross Fixed Monthly Income
• e-mail ID
• Mobile Number
After filling in all the details now click on Proceed option. A verification code will be sent to the mobile number, which has to be entered before proceeding further.
After entering the mobile number, the individual has to fill in the basic information which includes Personal Information, Employment and Income Details, Relationship with Standard Chartered Bank if any and after filling in all the required details, proceed further and click on ‘Submit My Application’.
The bank on receipt of the application will examine if the candidate is eligible to avail the credit card for which they have applied for. Based on the eligibility criteria of the applicant, they may or may not receive the credit card, the bank will have its last say on deciding if a customer has to be issued a credit card or not.
Applicants can also apply for a Standard Chartered Bank’s Credit Card, by sending an email to the bank directly.
• Applicant’s age should be between 21 years to 65 years.
• Applicant should have permanent monthly income.
• Applicant should belong to the credit cards origin cities or locations of the bank
• All Applicants are subject to credit and other policy checks as per the Bank’s guidelines.
• Identity Proof (Any one of the following Photo Cards): Passport, PAN Card, Election Voters ID Card, Government ID, etc.
• Address Proof (Any one of the following documents with current residential address): Passport, Driving License, Phone bill, Electricity/other utility bills, rental agreement, latest other bank/Credit card statement.
• 1 recent passport sized Photograph of the applicant
• Financial Documents
i. In case of Salaried: Latest one-month salary slip
ii. In case of Self Employed Businessmen: Latest Income Tax Returns with the computation of income/Certified Financials, Last Business Continuity Proof
iii. In case of Self Employed Professionals: Latest Income Tax Returns, Business Continuity Proof
iv. An individual can also apply on the basis of other bank credit card statement.
Standard Chartered Bank is one of the oldest banks in India and it is also an International Bank. It uses global capabilities and deep local knowledge to provide a wide range of products and services to meet the needs of the individuals as well as business customers in India. Apart from this the bank’s credit card also offers a wide range of advantage to the customers be it in terms of reward points, cashback offers, helpful payment options and so on. The credit cards are tailor-made in nature, designed specifically to suit niche customers per-requisites. The bank ensures that the customer has the best possible experience with Standard Chartered.
If all the required documents are submitted properly, then it should take approximately 9 working days to get your credit card approved.
An individual can make payments in the following ways:
• Online Banking
• Bill Desk- From different bank accounts directly to your Standard Chartered Card account
• NEFT/IBFT – From your bank account directly to your Standard Chartered Card account by quoting the IFSC Code of respective branch of the bank.
• VISA Money Transfer – In case of Visa franchisee credit cards, individuals can pay through their bank account using Visa Money Transfer. Fees for Visa Money Transfer may be levied by the initiating bank.
• Standard Chartered Online Banking – Standard Chartered account holders can pay through an account transfer.
• NACH – NACH (National Automated Clearing House) facilitates standing instructions from an account holder to the credit card. This can be initiated by submitting a NACH form authorizing a transfer of funds. The NACH form needs to be attested by the bank from where the payment needs to be made. The customer will be responsible for ensuring that the debit instruction is honored.
• Cheque/Demand Draft – Dropping a Cheque or a draft in favor of the individuals Standard Chartered Bank’s Card Number (16 digit card number) into any of the bank’s cheque collection boxes. The Cheque/ Draft should be complete in all respects. Any material alteration must be duly countersigned.
• Cash – Cash payment can be deposited only at any of the bank’s branches using teller facilitates.
A cardholder can visit the nearest Standard Chartered Bank and meet an executive and inform about the intention to close the existing credit card.
Fill in the details of Credit Card Closure Form and submit the same to the Branch Executive/ Manager. Once the process of cancellation is initiated, the cardholder should cut the respective credit card diagonally and submit the same to the bank. This will automatically lead to the termination of the add-on cards if any.
The Credit cardholder can also call the Customer Care Centre of the Standard Chartered Bank and can cancel their credit cards at any point in time by calling the 24 Hour Phone Banking Numbers at
|39401616 / 66011616||Allahabad, Amritsar, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Cochin/Ernakulam, Coimbatore, Indore, Jaipur, Jalandhar, Kanpur, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Patna, Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara|
|39401616 / 66011616||Ahmadabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune|
|011 - 39401616 / 011 - 66011616||Gurgaon, Noida|
|1800-425-0109, 1800-3000-1616||Jalgaon, Guwahati, Cuttack, Mysore, Thiruvananthpuram, Vishakhapatnam, Proddatur, Dehradun, Mathura, Saharanpur, Siliguri|
The Cardholder can download the Credit Card Closure Form fill it up and the same can be sent along with a letter stating the objective to close the bank’s credit card and the respective credit card to the below mentioned address at
Standard Chartered Bank,
Customer Care Unit,
19, Rajaji Salai,
Chennai – 6000001.
The customers can also email the bank and inform them about the intention to close the credit card at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Cardholder can also cancel the credit card via Net Banking facility. In the credit card section of the net banking, an option will be provided to deactivate the credit card. Once the cardholder selects the option, the cancellation process for the credit card will be initiated.
The customers can also contact bank’s executives by calling them at the Personal Banking Helpline Numbers as mentioned below:
|Names of Cities||Personal banking helpline numbers|
|Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune||6601 4444 / 3940 4444|
|Allahabad, Amritsar, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Cochin / Ernakulam, Coimbatore, Indore, Jaipur, Jalandhar, Kanpur, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Nagpur, Patna , Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara||6601 444 / 3940 4444|
|Gurgaon, Noida||011 - 39404444 / 011 - 66014444|
|Jalgaon, Guwahati, Cuttack, Mysore, Thiruvananthpuram, Vishakhapatnam, Mathura, Proddatur, Dehradun, Saharanpur||"1800 345 1000 (For domestic dialing within India only)"|
|Siliguri||"1800 345 5000 (For domestic dialing within India only)"|
The customer can also contact the bank through SMS Service at 99800-33333. It is a 24 hour SMS service, available on all the days except during National Holidays.
The termination of the credit card will be effective only after payment of all the outstanding amount on the card account by the user of the card.