PAN Cardholders are required to surrender their PAN Card for duplicate PAN factors.
If an individual holding more than one Pan Card he/she must surrender the PAN Card to avoid the penalty charges. Below is the step by step tutorial for PAN Card surrender process. Scroll down and go through all the online and offline process to surrender your PAN Card.
How You can Surrender Your PAN Card?
Applicants having more than one Pan Card can surrender the duplicate Pan by writing a letter to the Income Tax Assessing Officer with a proper reason for surrender. Further, the PAN Card will be cancelled and the applicant can surrender it to the tax official. Apart from this applicants can also go through online and offline process which are listed below.
Surrender Duplicate PAN Card through Income Tax Department Website
- Go to the efiling site of Income Tax Department
- Go to the Surrender Duplicate PAN option.
- Enter all the required details such as Duplicate PAN Number, Personal Details, Date of Birth and Contact Details.
- Submit the form and you will be redirected to the further process.
Surrender Duplicate PAN Card through Tin NSDL
- Go to the official NSDL portal
- Under the drop-down section of Application Type, select Changes or Correction in existing PAN Data/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data)” option.
- Fill the form and click on submit. Now you will get a token number on your email id.
- Note down the token number and click on Continue with PAN Application Form
- On the next page, select Submit scanned images through e-Sign” option, which is located on the top bar of the page.
- Mention the PAN Number you want to surrender on the required box, which is located on the bottom of the page.
- Now, provide all the personal details and contact details
- On the bottom of the page provide the details of additional PAN that you want to surrender and click on Next.
- On the next page, select the proof of identity, residence and date of birth you want to submit.
- Upload scanned images of the required documents and review all the provided details for the payment process
- Complete the payment process via demand draft, credit card, debit card or internet banking.
- Once the payment is done, take a printout of the acknowledgement form.
- Affix the acknowledgement form and two passport size photographs in an envelope
- Label the envelope with Application for PAN cancellation’ and the acknowledgement number.
- Send the envelope along with the documents and payment proof to the below-given address
NSDL e-Gov at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411 016.
Surrender Duplicate PAN Card through offline process
- Fill the form Request for New PAN Card Or/And Changes Or Correction in PAN Data and submit the form in the nearest NSDL office along with the required documents
- Apart from this applicant can also file a letter to the Assessing Officer listing the duplicate PAN details and requesting for cancellation, an affidavit may be required stating that the individual does not own any other PAN Card except the existing one.
- An applicant can also fill Form 49A for Change or Correction of PAN and submit it to the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL office.
Surrender PAN Card due to the death of PAN Holder
In this case, family members of the PAN Holder need to write a letter to the Income Tax Officer of the respective jurisdiction along with the purpose of surrender (i.e. death of the holder) and the death certificate. The written letter must contain PAN Details such as PAN Number, Name, Date of Birth and Address. The process is same for the foreign individuals also.
Surrender Duplicate PAN Card of a Firm/Partnership Firm/Company
Surrender Duplicate PAN Card of a Firm/Partnership Firm/Company can be done through both online and offline process.
- Go to the official site of NSDL portal
- Fill Form 49A along with the required details.
- Enter the PAN details of the duplicate PAN in item 11 of the Form.
- Submit the Form and take a printout of the acknowledgement receipt
- Send the Form along with the required details to the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL office.
- File a letter to the Income Tax Officer listing the duplicate PAN details and requesting for cancellation. It is mandated to mention the firm/company is being dissolved, thus the PAN card is being surrendered.
- Affix a copy of the deed which declare the company is being dissolved, the PAN card as well as an acknowledgement of the return being filed for the discontinuation period.
- Submit the letter along with the required documents to the Income Tax Officer and keep a copy of the acknowledgement receipt.