Form 49B is an application form under section 203A of the Income Tax Act,1961 for the assignment of TAN number or TAN deduction and payment account number.
For all entities eligible to subtract TDS on payments, TAN registration would be necessary. A 10 digit number is a Tax Deduction or Collection account number (TAN) assigned to all the individuals, who are entitled to subtract or collect tax of payments made by them pursuant to the Indian Income Tax Act, 1961. Form 49B is an essential document for applying for TAN number and it this form must be known to all the taxpayer paying TDS.
What is Form 49B?
Pursuant to Section 203A of the Income Tax Act,1961. Form 49B is a statutory form that must be submitted if a person is to receive a TAN number. It is therefore of paramount importance to learn how to fill Form 49B correctly without any error. The reason is that it is so crucial for a payee who does not have a TAN, banks have the legal right to refuse payment fulfilment. Applicants who do not have TAN but who subtract TDS may be charged Rs 10,000. No additional document is required while applying for Form 49B. Applicants must apply through official NSDL or UTIITSL portal, the form is in a pdf format through which the applicant has to submit his/her mandate details and submit in order the complete the Form 49B process. In case of online submission applicant has to sent resident proof and identity proof via mail to NSDL TAN Application Division.
Format and Contents of Form 49B
- The first section contains details of the office and designation of the person.
- The second section requires the complete residential address of the individual.
- The third section is to provide the nationality of the person.
- In the same section, the PAN number is provided by the person if it is mandated.
- In the next section Tax Deduction Number and Tax, Collection Number has to be filled up.
- Form submission data is to be provided in the next section.
- Details of the assessing officer are to be provided by the applicant
- After that applicant has to submit his/her personal details in order to declare the above-mentioned details is correct.
- At last, the applicant has to provide a sign or left thumb impression in order to complete the submission procedure of Form 49B.
How to Apply Form 49B
It is a simplistic method that doesn't require any kind of physical documentation by the applicant. The digital method is broadly used mechanism nowadays in order to apply for new PAN or Form 49B. If you are willing to apply for Form 49B then here is the step by step tutorial for a successful submission online.
How to Apply for Form 49B through NSDL Portal?
- Go to the official site of NSDL Portal
- Now click on Online Application for TAN (Form 49B)
- Under the drop-down box of Category of Deductors, select your appropriate category.
- Now you will be redirected to fill Form 49B.
- All details are to filled up by the applicant which are mandated including Assessing Officer code, Area Code, Range Code, AO Type, etc.
- After submission of all the details, a confirmation screen will appear to review your given details.
- Now click on confirm and submit the form.
- Now a 14-digit acknowledgment number will be displayed in which the applicant is required to take a printout of it.
- In the printed acknowledgment form applicant have to give signature or left thumb impression. In case of left thumb impression, it must be attested by the Magistrate or Gazetted Officer under official seal and stamp.
- Now send the acknowledgment form with all essential documents to the NSDL office through Postal or Courier.
How to Apply for Form 49B through Offline?
- Applicants who are not able to submit Form 49B through the online process due to any type of network issue can also apply the same through an offline method. Below is the step by step method
- Download Form 49B from NSDL portal
- Now mention your all personal and obligatory details.
- The mentioned details must be relevant to your documents.
- Declaration to be made by the applicant stating that the above-given details are correct to the best of our knowledge.
- Date and Place to be mentioned along with Signature or left thumb impression of the applicant. In case of left thumb impression, it must be attested by the Magistrate or Gazetted Officer under official seal and stamp.
- Review your all mentioned details in the form and submit it with your all essential documents in the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL office.
Documents Required for Form 49B
If the applicant has applied Form 49B online then the print of acknowledgment is the need to sent to the Income Tax Department. On the other hand, no documents are required for offline mode.
Instructions to Fill Form 49B
- All the details must be filled in English only.
- The form must be filled in BLOCK LETTERS by Black Ink only.
- The applicant must leave a blank box after submitting one word on each box.
- Field marks with an asterisk (*) are compulsory to be filled by the applicant.
- AO code, AO type, AO number must be filled by the applicant.
- In case of thumb impression, it must be attested by a Gazetted Officer or Magistrate under official seal and stamp
- All the boxes are mandated to filled by the applicant.
- Designation of the individual is mandated to fill
- The resident type must be an Indian in order to fill the form.
- Applicants are suggested to not apply for TAN if he/she has alloted a TAN already.
- Given resident address, mobile number and e-mail id must be correct.
Things Not to Do while Applying Form 49B
- Don't overwrite or make any corrections in the form. If such a case appears then the application form should not be accepted.
- Do not mention POI or POA which are not in the name of the individual.
- Do not mention any additional details in the form like birthmark, rank, marks, designation etc.
- In the case of female applicants do not write the Husband's name in the Father's name column.
- Do not abbreviate your names and do not use initials.
- Do not apply for a new TAN if you already have one. If any such case occurs a penalty of Rs 10,000 will be charged to the applicant under the provisions of Section 272B of the Income Tax Act 1961.
Fees for Form 49B
To apply for Form 49B applicants are required to pay a fee to TIN-FCs of Rs 65+GST. The payment can be done through numerous payment gateway like Cheque, Demand Draft, Net Banking, Credit Card or Debit Card.
If the payment is done through DD then it must be in favor of NSDL-TIN.
If the payment is done through Cheque then the applicant is mandated to mention TANNSDL on the deposit slip.
Submission of Form 49B
The applicant is required to send the acknowledgment form along with the DD to the below mentioned NSDL Address.
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk
Pune - 411 016.
- Applicants are mandated to send the form in an envelope by mentioning APPLICATION FOR TAN (Your TAN Number) in the envelope.
- The acknowledgment form along with the DD must be reached to NSDL Office within 15 working days from the date of applying for Form 49B.
- The application will only proceed if the acknowledgment form contains the duly signature of the applicant along with the proof of payment.
SMS NSDLPAN Acknowledgement No. and send it to 57575 to obtain PAN Application status. Click Here to access more contact details for PAN related.