An AO Code of 10 digits in the Pan database is attached to each Pan Card.
For Assessing Officer, the Pan Card AO Code is a variation of your Area Code, AO Type, Range Code and AO Number used when applying for Pan Card. Based on the source of income and geographical specifics, each Pan Cardholder is given a separate array. Each of these sets will be divided into numerous units such as circles and wards. The ward will be assessed on the basis of the income to which you claim a cap. When you declare lower than the statutory cap, a sub-jurisdiction will be granted to you. You will be included in a certain circle when you declare that you are above a fixed limit. Pan applicants are mandated to submit their application form with AO Code. The AO code can be avail from the nearest Income-tax Department or official site of Income Tax Department. The Taxpayer will have to contact the local Income Tax Office in order to know the AO under whom the Pan owner is assessed at any time.
Why PAN Jurisdiction is Necessary?
- Understanding the Pan Jurisdiction provides full specifics of the role of the Commissioner, Chief Commissioner Range, Joint Commissioner Range, Place and Designation of the Assessing Officer.
- If an applicant has applied for a Pan Card and availed a Pan Card from Income Tax Department on the basis of the permanent address specified in the application form, the Pan Card status can also be inspected.
- If individual wishes to change his/her permanent address and also willing to contact on this change with the IT Department, then the individual must change his/her Pan Jurisdiction, which lies with the jurisdictional Assessing Officer allotted to be assessed when applied for PAN card.
Steps to Know Pan Jurisdiction and AO Code
- Go to the official site of Income Tax India efiling site.
- Now click on Know Your TAN/AO, which is located in the left bar of the page.
- Now under the drop down box of category of deductor, select your Category.
- After that select your state.
- Now enter your Name as per your Aadhar Card.
- Enter your valid mobile number.
- Review your all the details and click on Continue.
- On the next page you will see the Jurisdiction details of the PAN like Name, Indian Citizen, Area Code, AO Type, Range Code, AO Number, Jurisdiction, Building Name, Email Id and Status.
Why It is Important to Know Your PAN Jurisdiction and Assessing Officer (AO)
AO has the authority to issue or waive penalties. The ward or region of Income Tax has one or more Aos allocated. You may contact the AO to review a notice that was sent to you, explain the notice, raise a dispute about a notice, or file a complaint about any aspect of the Income Tax process.
There are several responsibilities for the Assessing Officer including but not limited to:-
- Issuing tax refunds
- Sending notices if any discrepancy is found in ITRs
- Ensuring taxes are being collected
- Assessing your income and calculating the tax owed by you
- Providing solutions to the complaints of taxpayers in their jurisdiction
- Issuing your PAN Card
- Evaluating your Income Tax Returns (ITR)
How to Change the PAN Jurisdiction AO?
Check the below process to change the PAN Jurisdiction AO (Assessing Officer) in case if you are not satisfied.
- Fill complete application and send it to Income Tax Department
- You and the authorized entity will have to sign the letter.
- Mention your all details in the letter such as your Name, Age, Date of Birth, Address, the name of the officer you are complaining against, and the reason for your complaint against him or her.
- Also attach the documents if required
- Once approved, the application is forwarded to the Income Tax Commissioner
- On his approval, the present AO is changed to a new Assessing Officer