In accordance with Section 139A of the Income Tax Act, an individual taxpayer can carry only one Pan Card for the entire life.
If it is found that he/she has held more than one Pan Card, a penalty charge of Rs 10,000 will have to pay by the taxpayer to the Income Tax Department.
In such cases, the applicant is required to cancel the additional Pan Cards in their real profile. Here you will get to know the entire process for Pan Card Cancellation.
Pan Card Cancellation Form
How to Cancel the Additional Pan Card
The individual has to go through either online or offline process in order to cancel the additional Pan Card. By applying in NSDL or UTIITSL portal / By visiting the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL office an individual will able to avoid penalty charges for carrying more than one Pan Card.
Two Modes for Pan Cancellation
Online method is one of the quickest method to cancel your Additional PAN Card
PAN Card Cancellation Online
Regarding to cancel the additional Pan Card through online, the same form is required while an applicant apply for a new Pan Card or Correction of Pan Card. Below are the step by guide of online procedure for Pan Cancellation.
- Go to the official site of the TIN-NSDL portal.
- Under the drop-down box of services, click on PAN.
- Now under the Change/Correction in Pan Data section, click on Apply Now.
- Now click on the drop-down box under application type and select Changes and Correction in existing PAN Data / Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data).
- Select Individual in the drop-down box of category.
- Mention your all personal details, type the captcha code on the required box and click on Submit.
- After the successful submission, a token number will be generated which will be delivered to your email.
- Now on the next page, click on Continue with PAN Application Form.
- In the next page, you have to submit your PAN documents which can be done through e-KYC as per your Aadhar Card details.
- Scan your needed documents and submit the images of your documents through the e-sign method. Mention your all documents name that has been submitted and mention your personal details on the require field and click on submit to proceed further.
- Now the payment gateway page will appear, for PAN card correction an amount of Rs 107 is required for Indian citizens and Rs 994 for overseas citizens.
- Payment can be done through Cheque or DD in favour of NSDL or you can also pay the amount through credit card, debit card or net banking.
- Enter your payment details and click on submit. Once the payment is done a new page will appear displaying your successful transaction details.
- Now you will ask to verify your Aadhar Card click the tick box and click on authenticate to proceed further.
- Once the authentication is completed click on Continue with e-Sign/e-KYC to generate the OTP. Enter the OTP that has come to your registered mobile number and click on submit.
- After submitting the Aadhar details now you will see a new page in which you can review your submitted application form.
- Take a print out of the application form and attach it with an envelope labelled under Application for PAN Cancellation with the acknowledgement number.
- Send it to the below address along with the relevant documents and two passport size photographs.
NSDL e-Gov at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411 016
Offline Method for Pan Cancellation
Applicants need to fill Form 49A and submit it on the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL office along with the required documents and 2 passport size photograph
Alternate offline method
The applicant can also write an application to the Assessing Officer of the concerned jurisdiction in order to cancel the PAN. The application must contain the details that are mentioned below.
- Name of the Applicant
- Current address of the Applicant
- Details of the additional PAN Card that has to be surrendered or cancelled.
- Details of the PAN Card that the applicant wants to keep to continue the uses.
- Applicant must hold the copy of acknowledgement number, this is the proof that the applicant has successfully applied for Pan Cancellation.
Methods to Check Pan Cancellation Status
- Go to the official site of IncomeTaxindiafillings.
- Click on Know Your TAN/AO, which is located in the left bar of the homepage.
- Now select your category and state
- Mention your name, mobile number and click on submit
- On the next page, you will able to see the status of your Pan Cancellation request.